Author Topic: clamagore update  (Read 8692 times)

Offline etkfixr

• USS Clamagore Volunteer
  • Seaman
  • Total BZs: 3
    • View Profile
clamagore update
« on: June 04, 2008, 09:07:30 PM »
We held our first Clamagore Living History event this past weekend, May 31st and June 1st.  We had 10 members in the "plankowners" group.  We introduced the non-submarine qualified guys to the submarine qual program and had several School of the Boat meetings.  each member was issued a reproduction qual card to complete.  The high point was meeting former crew member Senior Chief Sid Busch who gave us the grand tour and answered many questions we had about the Clamagore and her crew.  Senior Chief agreed to join the Living History Crew as the groups Chief Of The Boat.  We are hoping to set up a working arrangement with the Patriots Point Staff to allow the group to assist in restoration work.
There are plans to get the Clamagore into drydock for hull repairs.  We found out that a marine engineer did a survey of her.  I beleive that she will be taken to the former Charleston Navy Yard for the overhaul.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: clamagore update
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »
That's great news all the way around.  It sounds like you guys had a good time on the boat last weekend.  Our Batfish group is itching to get back on her for the VJ Day event.  We have a laptop subbing for the real 1MC and we have a lot of sound effects planned this time around.  If you really want to immerse your guests, start finding cheap speaker/computer sound systems and make your boat come "alive".  We like to do a story line as the vistors walk through the boat, too.  They like to see people acting out the sailor roles.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: clamagore update
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:03:31 PM »
How is Patriots Point coming along as a whole these days?  Is there a new manager?