Author Topic: Just asked the $64 Million dollar question on Rontini's BBS... check it out!  (Read 17765 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
No.  I have a message waiting on my phone.  I have not been able to take care of it yet.  I had an all morning meeting with the new mayor and my board member/city councel member/potential money foundation. 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Money comes first.   ;D  Just remember.. "In Jamaica, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, and then you get the women."

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Have you and Rich P. worked out anything regarding the Roncador TDC shell?

I'd sure like to get that.  I had tried to work out a deal with Rich back in 2000 or so and it fell thru due to the fact that we didn't have "the plan" and no one wanted to write it...well, no one that had authority to that is.  I built a replica out of wood just to fill in the space and give a feel for what it would look like, but the real thing would be much better.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
My job for the next 6 months is the Master plan and to update all of our "museum statuses" with the various agencies.  This will include all branches of service as well as NHSA and the American Museum Association.   I am looking for a web site for the AMA.  If anyone has one, let me know.

Rick

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
http://www.aam-us.org/

That's the American Association of Museums.  Is that what you seek?

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
I am looking into that one.  The Org is listed as American Museum Association on the docs that I am filling out.

STUPID PAPERWORK..........     >:(

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
You don't have to be a member of the AMA to run a submarine memorial... We are not members... and frankly, the standards for AMA are a bit above the capability of many small historical organizations like you and us. 

Unless the AMA has a TDC, I'd focus on the Naval Historical Center and their requirements. IMHO.

Paul

:idiot2:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Understood ther.  This is for an unrelated issue that involves our 501(c) status and getting supplies tax exempt.  We have another route as the board of trustees are apointed by the mayorr (now designated the kidd :2funny:).   I still like the information as I do not like to close doors.  I have big dreams out here (and they may only be dreams) and I do not want to unecessarily close doors.

Rick

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
There is an agreement in place for USSVI to absorb all the WWII guys that want to become part of USSVI. Discounts for life memberships will be offered. Of course many of them already belong. The 2009 convention will be a dual convention and there has been announced when each part of their organization will wind down in the next few years. Already most of their memorials are being handled by the USSVI bases that are in the area of a WWII chapter and the memoriial. So eventually there will be just the one organization, but it will have most of those who are still alive from WWII as members. USSVI was designed on purpose to be an ongoing organization although at times you will see numbers go up and down as membership is reflected by the size of the submarine force of 30 years ago. However there are so many sub vets out there that don't belong, that with the right advertising, we could increase our numbers as the actual numbers of sub vets went down.
There were some political issues between the two organizations; mainly on the part of a very few at the top of the WWII guys; but in the last couple of years, thanks in large part to the work Pat Householder has done, they have faded away. WWII was a unique war in many ways and for that reason I think, we have held those who serve in it in special regard. This however is probably another of those heart over mind matters. I am sure the Korean sailors and the Vietnam ones were just as important to their families and to each other as those who served at any other time. Of course many who belong now, were cold war veterans and I think that the fact that much of what we did was never known or discussed probably affected how some view us also. I find it amusing that because the two fast attack subs I was on didn't get the right notices or medals, it is considered that I wasn't engaged in a war, but if I had of made one cruise on the FBM I put into commissioning, I would have qualified for the VFW. Yet of course, what we were doing on the Snook and the Scorpion came much closer to actual war conditions than what most FBMs went through. Not of interest to me at all, but I find the public perception to be amusing.
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Thanks for clearing that up for us Bill.  It absolutely kills me to know that the USSVWWII won't exist as it does today in only a year or two or three.  What can I say, it's the passing of an era.

And dang Bill, I want to hear some of your Scorpion stories sometime if you can share 'em.