Author Topic: Original Sub Bunks - Dimensions  (Read 21435 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Original Sub Bunks - Dimensions
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 04:05:38 PM »
I agree that troop bunks are better than an empty room.  Not sure why the Navy decided to empty them off the boat unless Batfish was on the strip list for a while.  If we can get sub bunk plans and a metal donor, we should start replacing a few bunks at a time.  Firstly, the ones that interfere with the doors in the AB.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 04:34:39 PM »
slow down I cannot keep up........

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 04:44:53 PM »
When boats were decommissioned, mothballed and/or converted to dockside trainers, the after battery bunks were removed to basically create a classroom in the former sleeping area.

Fred

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 05:38:16 PM »
That explains it, because Batfish's last role was as a dockside trainer.  It's bunks are probably collecting dust in a forgotten corner of a warehouse in TX.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 06:29:24 PM »
We made our own stanchions on Torsk for the centerline bunks, I have sent mark the pics that were taken from the 2000 work weekend of those being installed and then painted before the bunks were hung.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 09:57:42 PM »
How do you think I feel when an old codger from the UNRTC tells me here helped dump ALL of our EB stainless steel racks into a dumpster!!! DUMPSTER!!!!  Hell, I wouldn't feel so bad if they were sold for scrap, but dumpstered!!!! AUggggggghhhh   :'(

The EB stantions are works of art. We got ours by replicating the two from COBIA we had for 10 days... there are three but two are identical.

The Portsmouth boats had some ones, just pipes with cross tabs welded... (what crap these government shipyards foisted upon the Navy!)...   >:(

So BATFISH being a PNSY boat, you've got it easy... look to TORSK.

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 01:48:07 AM »
Golly gee wiz Paul, toss them to Torsk for help ;)

The Martha Stewart of the museum community has deffered the work to an outside source???  Holy crap batman, I didn't think that that would have ever happened :'(   Now who do I have to look up to when I need to get some help on painting Torsk hunter green???    Naahhhh can't paint her that color, although we did have pink curtains hanging in Sonar once ???

Don't worry Paul I am only busting your chops a little. Thanks for sending him to Torsk and I will see what I can do for him but like I mentioned we have 26 different styles onboard so I don't know if we will be much if any help.

Darrin

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 05:18:15 PM »
I gotta stop posting when I am too sleepy...  Hell, I couldn't read half the crap I wrote on the above posting...

What I am sending him to TORSK for is the STANTIONS!!!   Not the bunk dimensions.  EB boats had very intricate stainless stantions with castings and forgings galore!

The Portsmouth boats (like TORSK) has simple steel tubes with cross hook/frames welded at the three bunk heights. Like you have, like PAMPANITO has, like BOWFIN, etc., but TORSK is represented here right now, the others are not.  All he needs to do is zoom in on the photos you posted of your staff erecting the stantions. Those are the type he needs as opposted to COD's, which were pains in the arse to replicate. EB did things their way, which was twice as expensive, but usually prettier.   :smitten:

PF
(chops busted)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »
Thanks Paul,
I needed the laugh....  Well I wish that I could say that that was Torsk's staff but those are our volunteers who have worked their arses off getting pieces parts for her and making stuff from scratch so that she looks like she is alive once more and she is starting to feel it more and more everytime I get up too her (sadly only a couple of times a year).

Darrin 

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 10:29:03 PM »
Torsk staff, volunteers, CREW!!!!  It's semantics... let's say crewmen, or crewwomen, or crewpersons, or crewpersons of some persuasion...

OK, jewish-non-christian/christian/gay-lesbian-transgender-muslim-or non-such protected class person who contributes labor and or ideas to said submarine vessle ...

OK, back to C R E W !!!

PF

:idiot2:

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 01:06:47 PM »
As Darrin stated, the boats had many different sized bunks depending upon where they were installed.  In the Torsk archives, we have some drawings that specify how each different bunk is manufactured.  The year before last, we had a local fabrication shop manufacture replacement bunks for the staterooms in Forward Battery.  We did not have springs installed because somewhere along the line, the springs had been removed from original bunks and replaced with flat metal plates.  It wasn't cheap, but well worth the price.  We hope to manufacture the pull-outs for the torpedo rooms and more pipe bunks for after battery. 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 10:29:10 PM »
Darrin,

Do you guys have the plans/dimensions for the stantion that you created?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 10:52:06 PM »
Mark,
I can have the guys on the boat measure it out this weekend for you, hell I had forgotten about it or I would have measured it out on Saturday when I was onboard. You can always go back to the pic that is posted in this thread and blow it up and then use the deck to overhead height on your boat to create the length, we are missing one row of bunks because of the ladder going down into the After Battery well and had we still had batteries onboard we would have all of our bunks onboard but no place to restore our equipment and store our crap oops I mean junk damn it I mean our projects of the near future or sometime in the near future hopefullly :2funny:

Darrin

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 10:55:22 PM »
With the bunks you also will have to fabricate the mounts for the bunks and I think that we still have some spares onboard and I will have to ask for those also to be measured so you can make those and then the size and length of the chain that was used so that they set level and will support a man weighing greater the 250# for the night without failing.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 08:42:27 AM »
Thank you very much for all of your help.  One of the other reenactors is going to run with this project.  I sent him the link to this conversation.

Btw, how is your shoulder recovery going?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor