Author Topic: Original Sub Bunks - Dimensions  (Read 21008 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Original Sub Bunks - Dimensions
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 02:36:34 PM »
Mark,

the surgery was supposed to be on the 5th and they can't do it here at my hospital because I am a "high risk" patient because I have "severe" sleep apnea >:( so now I have to go to Langley Air Force base to have it done and my pre-pre-op appointement is on the 5th of this month instead of my surgery.

The tubing is suposed to be 1 1/2" or 2" tubing and then take your measurements off of the deck and then to the over head using a 1/4" plate on both sides to get the appropriate length and then weld them in place. The heights for the bunks it is recommended that you use the lengths on your outboard bunks and then measure the height off of the deck, IF you don't have them outboard I think that the height is 1' followed by 3' and then at 5' for your bunk levels. The brackets were made of 1/4" steel and they came out about 4" long and about that across from what I was told earlier and then rounded and shaped to fit the bunks onboard. And the Chain's were cut to length so that they were level and would hold a 250# man overnight and yes I do know that our's will hold my big butt overnight without problems (not that I am over that weight anymore) ;)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 02:41:48 PM »
Our after battery has all of the bunk slots filled.  So, determining height won't be an issue. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »
So which bunks do you need the specs for Mark??? just wondering because I only asked about the After Battery bunks and not the forward battery bunks or either torpedo room because those are a WHOLE different issue when it comes to fitting them and or manufacturing them and IF you don't have your boats origional plans onboard your job will be difficult to deal with because on Torsk there were I think 26 different bunks onboard which means that most of the bunks were special made to fit especially in the JO's quarters and the Chief's quarters. The Torpedo Rooms we used pipe bunks and then used what mounts were there and then measured where they used to be and then replaced the mounts and rehung everything. Every last one of our origional bunks were measured to make sure that they were in the right spot because when she became a Reserve boat they moved stuff around and got rid of all of the bunks in After Battery and somewhere along the line the boat was open for striping and more bunks were removed for other boats either museum or active at the time. :knuppel2:

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 04:18:14 PM »
In the torpedo rooms we have all of the bunks at head level installed, except for the honeymoon bunk.  Officer country has all but two  in the XO's room and the bottom bunk is missing in the Jr. Officer's room.  They substituted with the bottom bunks in each room so that they look like there's a bunk there, but you wouldn't want to sleep on them.  Goat locker has all 4 bunks.

Everywhere that we have a bunk on the boat, we also have a mattress and we try to cover them with a sheet, a blanket, and a pillow.

I would like to see some waist level bunks installed in the FTR once we get the Mk. 16 torpedo placed on the upper starboard rack.  Mainly to give visitors the idea that bunks were everywhere that machinery wasn't.

Rick says that we have a lot of boat plans, but I haven't looked through any of them.  I need to find out what plans are in motion regarding bunks and go from there.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »
Mark,
start with the plans that you do have onboard and then go from there because you may find that some of your bunks have been installed in the wrong place to make it look like all of the bunks are onboard, we had that and we are still working on finishing ours up after 10 years of being onboard. This is one process where I agree that an actual plan needs to taketo be put in place and you have to research all of your avenue's onboard before you even think of cutting one piece of steel to replace the racks that are missing because you may be cutting for the wrong rack that is already there.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 09:46:08 PM »
Good point.  Most of our racks are from troop ships and/or destroyers.  Officer country seems to be the only place where it was pretty much unmolested except for the three bunks that I mentioned.  That area was never really in the way when the boat became a dockside trainer.  All other bunks were removed for better access to and views of the machinery/weapons for training green sub crews.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor