Author Topic: Interesting bit of info...  (Read 7459 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Interesting bit of info...
« on: June 09, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
Rich Pekelney told me that the Batfish has the disctinction of having the only complete JT sonar stack out of all of the fleet boat museums - found in the forward torpedo room.  He says that the Pampanito crew calls it the "Holy Grail".  I think he was hoping to get it in exchange for the TDC shell from the Roncador, but I said that was very very doubtful.  Anything that is on the visitor path should stay on the boat.  Pumps and motors hidden in the bowels that probably will never be used again are a different story.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Interesting bit of info...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 07:52:19 PM »
I'd say that is unique then.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:22:52 PM »
IMHO. Not sure if I like the idea of trading... Its fine if you can, but if ship A and something Ship B needs and it is in excess of what Ship A needs, then make it available!
But also,never give up something that is aboard the boat, regardless of whether it is on the tour path or not! Again, IMHO.

Russ Booth (Rich's mentor and mine, and the guy who wrote the book on sub restoration)  so badly wanted some of our torpedo tie down straps (he had none and we have a full set)... and as much as I loved Russ (my "big brother" as I like to think of him) I had to say no.  If I had more than a full set, then it would have been different.

We make stuff in excess available...  if it is in any way a consumable (glass light fixtures, or dishes for instance) we try to have 200% of what was there. The rest is trading (or actually GIFTING) material.

Karl Marx Rules!!!

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:26:36 AM »
I agree, too, but I'm not the park manager.  I think that every time a piece is given away, the boat becomes a little more neutered.  Tom says that the earlier Drum caretakers stripped just about everything off of the outer hull so that they wouldn't have to paint it.  Sad.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 10:04:32 AM »
I have to agree.  Certain individuals wanted to cut all of the plumbing out of the after deck to make it easier to paint.  When I heard this, my gut just wrenched into knotw.   There is something about loosing or changing something just because it is easiere.  Some times things will need to be removed or changed during the course of restoration,  but this will need serious considerstion before doing.

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 10:12:10 AM »
Did Rich P. give you a call about the TDC trade?  I gave him your email and the park phone number.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 07:35:47 PM »
Yes,   I was busy playing wiht the 19 yoa mayor today.  I also had a meeting with a artistic type person.  We are going to have a master plan.   I am tired of not being taken seriously when we ask for money.

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:39:26 AM »
Excellent, Smithers.... excelleeeeeeent.   :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor