Author Topic: Navy inspection/work day  (Read 22688 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Navy inspection/work day
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 03:41:13 PM »
we did notice an oil or fluid of some kind laying under the deck plates at the base of the periscope housings.  Rick was thinking of using a high pressure sprayer to clean out the entire pump room and then pump the water out of the bilge.  We joked around about bringing Mike Rowe on board from the "Dirty Jobs" TV show to clean out the lower deck areas.

I've seen that "fluid" before.  Looked like nasty oily stuff.  Will need to be careful...not sure if that would be classified as hazardous waste or not.   Mike Rowe would get some good publicity.

On another note...I got an email from some group out of Ft. Smith that wants to check for "ghosts" on the Batfish.  Rick thought it would be a good publicity stunt...I thought it was funny, but if they come out, I plan to be there.  Need to find me ghost buster shirt  ;D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 04:40:01 PM »
We need to verify it's composition before we clean it out.  Partially for HAZMATt and partially to detrmine what is leaking.  I'm hoping it's a bad seal on a compressor that leaked oil and not the periscope housings leaking hydraulics.

Someone asked me if the Batfish had any ghosts on Saturday.  I told them that I have spent about 8 hours alone on her and haven't noticed anything unusual. 

The Cavalla posted a ghost clip on YouTube where a single guy was left inside the boat with the lights out.  He had an infared video camera and he heard a voice calling someone's name and that someone had jumped over board.  The voice and noises start in the control room and then he follows it into the crew's quarters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4YQ3tSH7YA

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 04:46:37 PM »
Someone asked me if the Batfish had any ghosts on Saturday.  I told them that I have spent about 8 hours alone on her and haven't noticed anything unusual.

I've spent the night twice on the BATFISH (years ago) and saw and heard nothing.  Maybe get that TV Show involved called "A Haunting" or something like that.  Publicity, even though weird, is still good.

I'll have to watch the video tonight...at midnight...with the lights out   ::)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 09:47:11 AM »
The ARVPI are coming out next weekend to investigate for spirits next weekend.  I think they will only find left over Torpedo Juice but who knows.   I welcome the publicity.  I will get up set though if they call us a battleship like the Ghost Hunters call the Lex...

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 09:50:37 AM »
LOL.  Will this be eventually televised or is this more of hobby for them?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 09:57:38 AM »
This is more on the hobby side.  They are a large group out of Arkansas.   All Volunteers.  I am at home and do not have the web site with me.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 10:04:10 AM »
Speaking of time alone on the Batfish, please mark me down for 5 hours for this past Saturday.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 03:40:12 PM »
The ARVPI are coming out next weekend to investigate for spirits next weekend

So Rick...what type of "spirits" did they find?  The ghost kind or the liquid kind?   :laugh:

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 12:27:09 PM »
 :2funny:

No they did not find our secret seill in the motor room.....

They are still listening to all of the recordings that they made.  I went with them mostley out of curiosity.  It was quite interesting to see what they actually do.   The only things we encountered that I can see was the pipe yard and various creeks and groans of the boat and one very annoying demon frog that keep croaking on thier recording devices.....

All in all they were a grood group of people.  We did have a good time.

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »
Thermal cycling will keep the boat creaking for its lifetime.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 03:36:42 PM »
I know that and you know that.  I did have to explain that to the investigators.  That is one of the perks for them to have me there.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 04:03:48 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure that they think every little thud and creak is from some dead guy.  Overall, I think the boat is pretty quiet when no one is on board and the AC isn't running.  I have a bunch of sound effects from the SH IV sub game that would really add to the ambiance of the boat, if piped over the speakers.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 09:59:08 PM »
I was very suprised.  They did take a very logical approach.  The did tend to jump at every sound, but did not get overly excited until they could not explain anything away.

I am still waiting for the debreif.   

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 04:44:53 PM »
If it's already been a week and no news, then there's probably not much to report at this point.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 07:05:07 PM »
That is my thoughts right now.   I may follow up next week.  I just closed on my house so I will be a bit bussy for a few days.  I am not sure when I will get to them next.

rick