Author Topic: New MARAD POC  (Read 5315 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
New MARAD POC
« on: June 23, 2008, 02:24:38 PM »
I finally received an email from MARAD:

Mark:  I am the new program historian here at MARAD.  Please contact me when you think you want to make a trip out to the fleet.
Thanks-
Barbara Voulgaris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Barbara A. Voulgaris
Federal Preservation Officer
Program Historian
Division of Sealift Operations
Maritime Administration
MAR-612, W25-307
1200 New Jersey Ave SE
Washington, DC  20590
VOICE: 202-366-0866
FAX: 202-366-3702
Barbara.Voulgaris@dot.gov

That pretty much sounds like a blank-check invitation to me.  I replied back to her and told her that Rick was our park guru.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: New MARAD POC
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:48:03 PM »
ROAD TRIP!!!!
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »
We should aim for this fall when the James River Fleet puts out the door mat.  In the mean time, if we see a door, handle, knob, button, switch, and anything else missing or broken in a given compartment, we should put it on a running list.  Rick probably has started one already.  We'll also ask the reenacting crew to make note of items in their areas for VJ Day, regardless of how insignificant it may be.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 11:57:42 AM »
Please do your research about what is missing on your boat and then when you put a request into Barbra's office ask nicely for a current copy of the ships in the JRRF or where ever you are going that way you can do some research as to what types of ships you want to look at and why, there are a couple of surface tenders here in JRRF that have full bench stock of sheet metal onboard HOWEVER JRRF uses the Ex-Shenandoah's steel stock to help keep the fleet afloat. Again when making your lists out list EVERYTHING that you are missing and IF you have the room for storage ask for spares of what you have that way you can replace them when they get stolen or broken or even finally worn out after years of use and abuse.

My .02 worth

Darrin