Author Topic: Wall-mounted fans  (Read 16202 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Wall-mounted fans
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 09:19:07 AM »
These two fans end today and I hope to win both of them for the boat:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330235160265

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200223734662

The first one has a lot of activity, but I am the only bidder on #2.  I expect someone to come along and try to snipe it.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »
Well, the first one went for $72.00.  Looks like it got sniped.  The second one, which I like, hasn't had any activity.  I'm wondering if its the result of the title choice.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 10:06:32 PM »
I won the second one!  Woo-hoo!   ;D

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 05:01:23 PM »
Save your money Mark,
they still have the AC version in the dead fleets, once you get your want list together make sure that you put those on your list so that when you turn that it you will have the ability to pull them off of the ships, there are some WWII vintage ones out there that while nice to look at you don't want to run anywhere near the tourista's because there is always one that wants to see if his/her finger will stop the motor like it does on their plastic one at home, they will lose skin and maybe a part of their finger depending on how strong your motor is and that means that the museum will have to pay for the damage to the moron's finger and probably get sued becasue it was not properly gaurded to keep the said moron's fingers out of it. We have the AC fans on Torsk and they run fine and no one knows the difference other then the volunteers and most of us don't care about that just as long as they stay running, we do have some DC fans out but those don't run and there was talk to convert them over to AC and run them in the lower flats in the engine room so that we could move some air down there.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 07:43:24 PM »
Good idea.  Paul said that most surface ships used the 12" and larger fans.  What we really need are 9" wall fans.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 10:59:27 PM »
Those are in the staterooms on the Range Sentinal and Vanguard, and you can also find them in other areas of the ships.. When you finally do your first strip ship remember one thing..... These boats have been picked over pretty decently and IF you realize that early and you choose to go to the Ex-USS USEDTOSAILONCE and look in the not so common areas you may be well rewarded and also keep in mind some of the OTHER skimmers (ie transports, AE,AO) don't get beat up as bad as the sub tenders or the rescue ships by the other museums striping them out.  We pulled a WWII Vintage MacKay Radio set in near museum condition off of Range Sentinal and pulled parts for it from Vanguard, we never expected in a MILLION years to find something like that and it is finding a home on the CHESAPEAK in Baltimore (Chesapeak btw is a lightship used in navigation by mariners) to replace the one that was removed when the Coasties got rid of her.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 11:23:39 PM »
Saw these NASA veterans in Port Canavaral back in the day when I worked for NASA... maybe I gotta get aboard for some COD treasure!!!

PF :coolsmiley:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »
Gee Paul, if the inspectors are worried that only people with tools should be able to open fuse panels, then we are screwed.  We have purposely pulled the handles off compartment cutoff switches and the "visitors" still manage to turn them and shut off the lights in whole compartments.  Standard issue now amongst vandals is a multipurpose tool.

As for power panels, we haven't been gigged for that on any of our inspections.  We just torque down on the cover screws so that you need a pair of pliers or screwdriver to open them.  Of course, like I said, that won't stop the occasional moron who thinks it is his God-given right to destroy things.  Actually, we are hoping one of them will open the panel and stick his fingers in.

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 02:05:58 PM »
Gee Paul, if the inspectors are worried that only people with tools should be able to open fuse panels, then we are screwed.  We have purposely pulled the handles off compartment cutoff switches and the "visitors" still manage to turn them and shut off the lights in whole compartments.  Standard issue now amongst vandals is a multipurpose tool.

As for power panels, we haven't been gigged for that on any of our inspections.  We just torque down on the cover screws so that you need a pair of pliers or screwdriver to open them.  Of course, like I said, that won't stop the occasional moron who thinks it is his God-given right to destroy things.  Actually, we are hoping one of them will open the panel and stick his fingers in.

Better yet, he touches it with his tongue!!!  ;)
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.