Author Topic: Drum progress  (Read 274512 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Drum progress
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
Tom,

as you well know our boats were not designed to be in the water 60+ years after they were commissioned, in the 1997 drydock pics you can visibly see deterioration in the bow area above the "chin dome" SONAR. We set in brakish water with little current and tides so we for the most part have it good, time will tell how it will all play out. It has been 13 years now since she was out of the water and the differences from the 1987 pics to the 1997 pics is evident that she is slowly deteriorating.

One day she will have to be brought onto land or scrapped, one of the truly sad things in life is that Baltimore HAD a shipyard in the inner harbor and when it closed we lost the chance to cofferdam her and build a building over her similar to the U-505.  A few years ago the piers were sold to developers whom built VERY expensive condo's on them and I seriously doubt that they would want the pedestrian foot traffic on their condo area or have to look down at a lady that was once the pride of our Navy.

Time will tell with ALL of our boats still in the water that do not recieve drydocking regularly, sadly the time is running out once more for a boat that gave so much and wanted so little other then for someone to maintain her. :'(

for the pics please go to www.usstorsk.org so you can see for yourself what has happened in the last 2 drydockings. Tom I think I posted those before you started the restoration of the bow and stern, I know that I posted the Pamp's and the Bowfin's for you to see what was done while they were in the drydock.

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2010, 05:48:17 PM »
All we can do is the best we can with what we have or can get and hope in few years things will change  for the beter. I am seeing an increase in public appreciation for restoring history and many young people are getting interested. Maybe there is hope.
Tom

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2010, 05:51:35 PM »
I hope some of the Submarines they have now will be musems when im older, the USS PHILIDEPHIA will be decomissioned this summer it just got back from its final deployment it had been around since the 70s
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »
It isn't too likely that there will ever be another nuc made into a museum or tourist attraction. The Navy is charging way more than anyone can pay and they are also taking a close look at the lack of care the existing ships and boats are recieving.
Tom

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2010, 09:25:44 AM »
I guess it is time for another update. We have recieved the tools from Stanley and we are using the heck out of them, already put a bend in one of the pry bars. LOL. Had to take Wednsday off to visit with Lance and family (Kara is growing fast and had a ball in the crews mess sink) and to keep an eye on Mark Allan, (he was secretly weighed coming and going off the boat). Really enjoyed the time spent. We have just about completed the port shutters doors, these were fun becuase there wasn't much left and we had to kind of guess at what they are supposed to look like, not many good photos out there.
Tom

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »
Tom,

It was good to see you and Lesley (and the Lance Dean crew) last Wednesday.

I took something from the Drum you can't weigh....information.  I was able to make sure the bow planes would rig out and then with the help of others, we were able to manually lower the planes.

Oh...and the only time you have to worry is if I show up in a U-Haul.   ;D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2010, 02:29:36 PM »
Looks good, Tom.  I think you guys "guessed" well.  Contoured doors to match the contour of the hull is the most logical choice.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2010, 07:42:57 PM »
We are now done with the port stern. We will be starting to sand blast the port side next week, sure am glad it hasn't gotton hot yet.
Tom

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2010, 09:17:40 AM »
Nice work, guys.  Are you guys painting the whole thing black ala early war paint scheme?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2010, 05:39:22 PM »
No, we are doing the grey and black. Itt is too hot here to do all black.
Tom

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2010, 07:46:25 PM »
Time for another update but first a well done to the Batfish for their painting and to Karen for the new paint on the sail of the Cobia, are we having fun yet? We have started sand blasting and painting the port side. Fighting the frequent afternoon storms and sometimes early rain but we are getting there. Occsionaly we actually run into an area where good primer was previously applied and good paint was used. The difference is remarkable and I am sick they couldn't have taken the time and used the right paints on the whole thing. I actually found a large area with primer on top of 1/8" of rust. Because of the poor condition it is taking forever and we are going trough a lot of sand, about 20 tons the first three weeks and we are about 30' from being half way. The photos below are the first two weeks.
Tom

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
Tom,

The work that you and Lesley have done while slow and tedious not to mention dirty and really damned hard work has SAVED the DRUM so that future generations can see her for another 40+ years. It to me is a miracle how far you two have come on so very little, I am EXTREMLY proud of the two of you and what you have done.

May the rest of our boats be so fortunate enough one day to be out of the water and have volunteers like you two working as hard as you have trying to save our history.

Thank you again for all of the hard work and dedication, one day I am going to make it out to see the DRUM and personally shake both of your hands and then buy you the tallest beer or whatever beverage you are drinking that I can find and finally be able to see this incredible work up close and personal.

Darrin

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »
The Sub looks very nice fellas especially in the alabama heat yall have done such good job
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2010, 07:32:25 PM »
Ok, time for another update. Here are photos covering the last three weeks. It is slow going , the rust is more solid than we first thought and we have found pockets of water unter the paint. What disturbs me the most is wen we uncover primer on top of 1/8" rust, did a lot of good. We are working hard trying to be the cold weather, themperatures have dropped to highs of 92 and I have had to run the heater in my truck a few mornings because the lows were 65.
Tom

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2010, 07:46:51 PM »
OK, I know everyone has been holding their breath waiting for this.  ;D The port side is finished, we still have the very bottom to do. It was a long hard summer but we got it done.
Thanks for all of your suport and incourgement, we needed a lot this year.
Tom