Author Topic: Independence Day activities  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Independence Day activities
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:16:30 PM »
I meant to make this topic a while back but it slipped my mind.

What's going on at your favorite submarine museum on the 4th?

I even mentioned wanting to run down to Mobile again tomorrow if there was something special going on at Battleship Park.

What are you people doing for Independence Day, even if it's not submarine related?

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Independence Day activities
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »
The Batfish has a pond around the bottom of the ballast tanks, thanks to the rain and the Muskogee fire department, that will have RC submarines in doing races (I think) and just puttering around. And then a few of us will be giving guided tours.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 06:35:09 PM »
Battleship Park is having their annual fireworks show, put on by the city of Mobile, thats it. I an two other sub vets gave tours on the Drum today and I will be there tomarrow and Sunday.
Tom Bowser

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 06:55:39 PM »
The fireworks show must really be something down there, Tom.  I hate that I messed around and missed the chance to see it this year.  Maybe next year.   :(

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 12:30:14 AM »
Not much happening on COD this July 4th. Cleveland is dead and our visitation is waaaay down. Our contingent of USSVI vets was anywhere but COD (only one comes to do HAM radio stuff and one other shows up to actually give tours)...

But what really gets my panties in a knarly bunch is that our USSVI subvet shipkeeper actaully started bitching at me for talking to visitors aboard the boat at 4:45 (15 minutes before we close)... as he put it "you talk to them and they stay till 5 p.m. and I can't leave early!"   W  T   F ?????
The last group of visitors went up the after torpedo room ladder at 4:55 (but that wasn't fast enough for him!)... I suggested that maybe he ought to not wear his subvet vest when he makes statements contrary to the subvet creed of "perpetuating the memory of fallen comrads..."  I also suggested that maybe he should go back to work at the postoffice, where apparently is was fine to clock out 15 minutes early.  This is SOP for this guy and our director thinks its fine...   :tickedoff:

I guess he would prefer that any tourguides stop talking to anyone after 4:30 and in fact rush them out of the boat ASAP so he can get on his Chinese-made motor scooter and zip home... 

Back in the bad old days (which apparently have in some ways returned) when we had very old WWII vets in the ticket booth, we had one guy who would get on the boats 1MC (via a hookup at the ticket booth) and announce to all that it was 4:30 and they needed to leave the boat!!!
I guess his spirit now lives in the body of a 65-year-old vet from the mid-60s diesel sub service!!!

Happy Fricken Fourth!!!

PF  :knuppel2:

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 12:51:26 AM »
 ;D  You crack me up Paul.

chris

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:40:31 AM »
SOUNDS LIKE THIS OLD SALT HAS SOME VINEGAR IN HIM.SOMEONE SHOUD STRAIGHTEN HIM OUT FAST.IT IS A PRIVILEGE NOT A GIVEN TO BE A VOLUNTEER ON A MUSEUM BOAT.