Author Topic: July 19 Wake Island  (Read 8755 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
July 19 Wake Island
« on: July 06, 2008, 04:33:43 PM »
July 19th.  We have two special veterans visiting us.  Both veterans helped defed Wake Island from Japanese invasion.   This will be a meet and greet session for the public.  Take this opertunity to meet a couple of real heros. 

Rick

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: July 19 Wake Island
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 10:39:44 PM »
man, stuff like this is always on my off weekend...I'll have to see if I can swing on down...that would be sooooo cool to meet them
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:46:15 PM »
Rick, this is one I will try my best to be at because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. This sounds like such a great thing for the museum.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 10:47:40 PM »
What time are they coming and what time are the leaving?  I REALLY want to get there for that.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:19:32 AM »
This is going to be another all day er.  Earl Garrison is alos looking to come down and meet them.   I am still trying to get a solid schedule from Rod on this one.   I will keep everyone posted as I get more information...

Rick

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 09:08:50 PM »
Rick - any other news on this?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:48:49 AM »
Rick,

Please email me the flier.  I forgot to pick one up when I left on Saturday.  I'll make a bunch of copies and post them in high-traffic areas at work.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 11:52:22 AM »
Here is the official schedule for the 19th....

1000 - Jack Skaggs and John Dale arrive at the Muskogee War Memorial Park.  Americal Legon post 15 will be the color gurard for us.
1030 - Presentations will begin in the Museum annex.   The Park will have a presentation as will the Chamber of Commerce and the City.  We may have the mayor here for this one.
11:00 - Mr Skaggs and Mr Dale will be available for all to meet.  Again this will be in the museum annex.  both men will be available for meet and great until the end of day at 1800..

We anticipate fisitors form several motorcycle groups, The City Councel, the Mayor, Gongressman Earl Garrison and Congressman Dan Boren.  I will have to take leave at 1400 for a Cub Scout event at Honor Heghths Park.   I will have the museum under the supervision fo a cabable person when I am gone.  I will aslo be available by Cell phone.

Rick

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 12:29:39 PM »
This is going to be fun, and a great chance to talk to some vets. lol Here I am saying some vets.....
Looks like we will be pretty full for the most part. I hope the public comes out and meets them.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »
Thanks for the sked, but the flier was much prettier. :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 02:04:22 PM »
Im gonna try my best to be there on Saturday, but no promises. If I can I will see you on saturday.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 02:38:55 PM »
Hey Rick, is there any news on why the Vets left so early to go to the peach festival?

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 03:41:19 PM »
There was a lot of speculation.  I do not think that we will ever get the full story.   I think that once the vets learned about the peach festival and found out that most of the politicians were headed that direction,  they decided that they were going to head the same way.   

That is all I can say on this issue as I do not want to go DI on this issue........    :tickedoff:

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 07:58:39 PM »
I have to admit I was disappointed. I was really hoping to get to talk to them. When I went looking for them, boom already gone. I expected more from them. I didn't expect alot, but they were disrespectful to us by just leaving with no warning. I expected more also because they were Marines.

But whats done is done I guess....
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin