Author Topic: Long-wire configuration - cold war  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Long-wire configuration - cold war
« on: July 06, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »
Does anyone have past or present pictures of fleet boats with the long-wire antennas running up to the SD platform?  The long-wire mounts on the Batfish were moved from the sail up to the SD platform at some point and I am curious has to how they're supposed to be rigged.  We only have one insulator mounted on the port side of the sail and it was moved back from its original location.  The starboard insulator is no longer there nor is its mounting hole.  There is a single vertical pole about 10 feet behind the sail and about 8 feet high on the port side railing.  This is all that remains on the Batfish for mounting long-wires.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Long-wire configuration - cold war
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
www.pigboats.com is a good place to start IF you want it to go back to a WWII config, I will dig through my pics and see what I have

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:01:05 AM »
I am NOT a radio expert, but I have never seen a long wire attacted to an SD mast during the war. Sometime in mid-late 1945 the sub force decided to add the VHF whips and shorten the long wires to an array surrounding the CTs with one of the legs running up the shears on the PORT side. Someone said it was to clear up the field of fire for the gunners, but hell, it still puts a wire or two near the gun mount...

So if BATFISH is true to a focus date that reflects her post war CT mods, then the wires should probably be run around the CT and up the shears on the port side. I will look for post-war shots (they're there, I know!) of this arrangement.

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 03:13:32 PM »
I'll be interested in seeing whatever photos that you find.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy