Author Topic: Boat's Horn  (Read 19176 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Boat's Horn
« on: July 08, 2008, 05:05:25 PM »
I was wondering if any of the museum boats got their horn working.  We still have our horn installed and I noticed a control valve connected to the air line to operate it, but I'm not sure where it is controlled from.  I realize that it needs the air system to be charged to operate it, too.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Boat's Horn
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 05:19:17 PM »
torsk's works just fine, we "test" it all the time.  Sorry folks too much crapola going on right now to do a school of the boat tonight :tickedoff:

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:27:12 PM »
Where is the operating lever located?  I don't recall seeing one on our bridge.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
It is in the bridge, on Torsk due to the sail layout it is next to the CO's "chair" right at shin level close to the side of the sail out of the way, your handle may have been removed and put in storage years ago and you may have seen it wondering what in the hell it is.. On the Honolulu ours stayed in a locked up position and when we surfaced and opened the horn access door we would blow the water out of the line by "testing" the horn, the OOD would litteraly step down on the handle to actuate the horn.. The pressure for that comes off of the 225PSI air (ships service air) is what supplies it, right now on Torsk we are running a little over 100PSI on it and it is just as loud. It has been known to scare more then a few tourist's and those in the aquarium when it has been "tested"  and while most of us get a good laugh at it we have been known to make a few mad at us :o

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 10:33:43 AM »
LOL  ;D

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »
COD's horn was broken (in two!) but we found a Navy spare in a gun stowage locker and mounted it. At the time we only had a bit of air so it just farted... but now with lots of air for the engine starting, we may need to test it again!!!

PF

SILVERSIDES fired hers in the recent past (yea, it's friggen LOUD!!!)....

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 12:34:48 PM »
We kept a spare for Honolulu in the fwd aux tank, everytime we had to paint down there we had to empty the tank out and we always bitched at the A-Gang to take their crap and store it where it belongs in THEIR spaces :knuppel2: only to have the Supply Officer tell us that it belonged there, we thought he was a quack and disregarded his suggestion a few times only to have the MMC bring it back with a stern warning not to do that again.. He used to get pissed at us for it but laughed when he walked away after chewing our collective arses over and over about it, the final time he brought the COB with him and we grudglingly left it there and as far as I know it is still there against the bulkhead and the ladder reasonably strapped in place, even though her bow is now on the USS San Francisco (SSN 711)

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 12:59:09 PM »
Torsk's horn was again tested the evening of the 4th of July.  As always, it was a big hit with the folks gathered on the pier to see the fireworks here in Baltimore.  A couple of the boats in the harbor tried to out do us, but were greatly outblasted.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 01:19:07 PM »
Little boy blue,  come blow your horn.   

I think this would be a great project to get working.  The port authority may find some humor in a fog horn here.     :angel:

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 05:16:28 PM »
Yeah.  It probably wouldn't be too difficult to get an air compressor hooked up to the air system.  For the record, I'm not signing up for this.   :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 06:28:05 PM »
Our aircompressor IS tied into our airbanks so we have a huge amount of volume for tools and other projects that need 100PSI, with most of our airbanks online and the banks topped off we have an incredible amount of air that is available for all tasks requiring compressed air, One day we will get a BIGGER compressor onboard and actually fire up a Fairbanks once more, but who's counting it has only been 37 years this year since one fired and ran on her own power.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 01:07:17 AM »
OK, for the record, one ship's horn louder than a subs... the William G. Mather, a 618-foot ore carrier turned museum ship next door in Cleveland's inner harbor.

Twin horns, fired simultaneously, actually wakes the dead!!!    Noooo Kidding!

:idiot2:

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

chris

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »
YOU CAN FIND A KLAXON FOR A MUSEUM BOAT ON E-BAY ALL THE TIME,ONE ON NOW.THEY SAY IN WORKING ORDER.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 02:10:27 PM »
What is the item number?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

chris

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 08:24:06 PM »
I CHECKED E-BAY TO GET THE KLAXON NUMBER BUT IT'S GONE.SAW IT ON SUNDAY MORNING BUT I DON'T REMEMBER HOW MUCH TIME WAS LEFT TO BID.