Author Topic: Torsk Tax Status  (Read 11762 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Torsk Tax Status
« on: March 06, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »
Guys,

What requirements did the Torsk meet to being designated as a 501(c)(3) as opposed to being 501(c)?  You're in a position to receive grants and other donations that are difficult or impossible for the Batfish to procure.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Torsk Tax Status
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »
We are in a bit of a different situation then most. The Torsk, Constellation, USS Taney and Lighthouse Chesapeake are overseen by The Baltimore Maritime Museum. All known as living classrooms.  I do not know what tax position they take. From what I understand, the BMM secure funds and allocate these funds to the vessels. Normally the funds come from the city. For example, Mayor Dixon awarded the Torsk funds for the new decking. Other things we get from the BMM. We need to show a cause for funds and the BMM secures these funds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Maritime_Museum

http://www.baltimore.to/MaritimeMuseum/index.html

As you can see, these vessels are a large attraction and we enjoy being in the harbor next to the aquarium and very close to the stadiums.   

CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:36:39 PM »
I've visited the museum several times and I really enjoyed the various attractions.  Great location being next to all of those restaurants and probably one of the best aquariums in the country.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 05:52:17 PM »
Mark,

Send an email to our treasurer, Dave Thames, at dthames@usstorsk.org (tell him I sent you) and have him give you a quick rundown of the process we went through to get the 501(c)(3) designation for the Torsk Volunteer Association.

We work closely with BMM in our fundraising but we are seperate entities when it comes to donations and fundraising. We have an understanding that we won't approach any company or organization that they are working with, with the same in reverse. They also understand that all funds that TVA raises go directly to support our restoration efforts on the boat. We have worked many projects where we have split the cost 50/50 with them, and other projects where they have funded the entire cost. It's worked pretty good so far.

Any other questions, let me know!

Gil

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »
So Gil, I got a Torsk sweatshirt over at the Taney last Saturday.  The Torsk gets a bit of this sale, correct?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »
Thanks, Gil.  I dropped Dave an email.  Only the IRS could create such a mess as this.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 08:33:13 PM »
Chris,

If you bought it on board Taney, then that sale goes into the BMM treasury. Their ships store is separate from ours. But we will eventually see something from the sale in the form of support from BMM for our projects.

Gil

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:26:17 AM »
10-4

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »
No word from Dave, yet.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 02:40:04 PM »
Mark,

Dave is a pretty busy guy - give him some time. I saw him on the boat Saturday and he had just flown in the nite before from CA, and was headed back out again Sunday morning to CA for more work. If you don't hear from him in a week or so let me know and I'll goose him a little.

Gil

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »
Okay, Gil.  Thanks.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 09:37:46 AM »
I just visited the Batfish Foundation website and they have the Batfish listed as a 501(c)(3) as of 2004.  Rick was under the impression that it was a 501(c).  So, someone got confused.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 12:22:26 AM »
Gilbert cleared our staus up pretty clearly.  We are a separate entity from the Baltimore Maritime Museum (BMM).  They actually have custody of Torsk.  The Torsk Volunteer Association (TVA) is a registered 501(c)(3) organization that does all the maintenance and restration work aboard Torsk.  BMM helps us to fund many of our restoration projects and they fund the periodic shipyard period.  TVA does its own fundraising and has a separate budget for accomplishing restoration projects.  Our volunteers also do many many hours of research to find and procure missing equipment.  We have acquired missing Sonar consoles, radio equipment, ECM gear, valves, bunks, torpedoes, and much, much more.  Anytime strip ship events occur at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, James River Reserve Fleet, Bremerton Naval Shipyard, and other locations, you will find Torsk Volunteers present.  Torsk is slowly but surely being restored to its 1965 appearance and operational condition.  We have many people to thank including Rich Pekelney, NAVSEA personnel, and all of our tremendous crewmembers (well over 120).  I personally believe that our volunter crew is as good or better than any crew that ever manned a submarine in the US Navy.  We have a long way to go, but, with this crew of ours, I believe Torsk can be the best of the Museum boats in the next few years.  A far ry from where we started out about ten years ago.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 10:03:59 PM »
Chief she has come a LONG way in the last 4+ years that I have been onboard and I can't wait to see her work all the way through the boat with the exception of turning the ships screw, been one hell of a ride and damn it is a shame that I can't make it to work for my 5th Work Weekend, may try to sneak a couple of hours on her but no workie allowed  >:(