Author Topic: One submarine on display, which one?  (Read 24546 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: One submarine on display, which one?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »
Because Rickover COULD.....    BTW there was a class of Cruisers that had 2 reactors onboard starting with the USS Long Beach (IF I remember correctly) and there were only 3 or 4 made and the rumor behind the construction of those was that Rickover had BTW just completed Triton and had the Long Beach and the California were being built and the Navy thought that they were getting two more submarines and when they went to the Shipyard to see their new submarines being built they saw a CRUISER hull and Rickover smiling and he shoved it down their throats to finish them..

BUT that was only a rumor and that was told to me when they DECOMMED the USS California in Pearl back in the early '90s and once decommed she stayed there for a couple of months for the Reservists to train on and then when I came back from a run at sea she was gone and the last pic that I saw from her was her superstructor had been removed and she was going to the chopping blocks and that was a few years ago

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 12:09:15 AM »
According to Ned Beach, the TRITON needed two reactors because of her size and the relatively low power output of the water-cooled reactor, mark 1. She was a biiiiiig boat (although Beach said he hated the tiny conning tower!).  Also, not sure how much turbo-electric power was needed to light up that friggen massive radar she was built with inside that huge sail.  CVA(N) 65 needed 8 friggen nuke steam kettles when built!  Not sure, but I think she was refitted with fewer, but newer, plants.

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 11:25:36 AM »
Paul,
the sad part is we have bigger boats then the Triton running on 1 reactor..... Personally I think that Rickover just wanted to show the world that we could do it, if you look at how long the Triton was commissioned it wasn't very long at all 6-8 years total if I remember that right because she wasn't commissioned a decade before she was decommed and layed at Bremerton for decades waiting to be scraped. But what the heck she still had most if not all of her gear onboard and when they scrap (if they haven't done so already) her all of the usefull pieces that so many need will be sold for next to nothing and made into a honda or some other crap.

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 04:52:02 PM »
Triton had the power plant of a nuclear destroyer/cruiser.  It had one reactor plant and maint turbine per shaft (Yep, a nuke sub with two shafts.  Rickover couldn't get Congress to budget money for a nuclear destroyer (eventually they did allow Bainbridge and several others) so, to prove the power plant would work, he built it into a submarine without making anyone the wiser.  It had features that just didn't fly on submarines, but were standard fare for targets.

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 11:26:59 PM »
If I could have one sub for a museum I would have 2 picks. And I would leave both of them at there current locations:

The Hunley.

The Bowfin.

With the money from those places I could then get any boat I wanted it seems.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 02:59:43 PM »
Ah, the bowfin..... 

Remember that they are in HI,  In Pearl, Next to the AZ,  and across from the MI an Ok memorial.   What more could you want.....   ;D

Good job for the guys at the Bowfin...

Rick

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 03:52:16 PM »
Don't forget when she needs a shipyard period the Navy and PNSY are more then happy to bring her in and give her a shave and a haircut and fix her hull and paint her.

Of all of the museum boats out there you will not find one better then the one that you work on, and if you do that means that you might want to work a little harder or refocus your energies to make her something that you are infinetly proud of. 10 years ago Torsk was a dead steel tube with little of anything working on her and the volunteer crew has brought her back to life inch by inch piece by piece, this weekend I was back onboard and while she still needs a lot of love she feels alive down below more then ever before... How many of you have heard Morse Code coming through your submarine's radio shack and have it be live and not on tape?? let alone on the correct radio's and antennae's?? a lot of our systems are alive now and there are more coming back online here in the near future and the best part is that MOST of the work was done by volunteers and by donated money and not by the "owners" of the boat. Countless strip ships in the last 10 years and the countless donations of money and parts by those whom are just happy to see her being worked on again have saved her from a scrap pile or the bottom of the ocean as a reef.

chris

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 07:19:03 PM »
DOES JAPAN HAVE ANY OF THE I-CLASS BOATS STILL AROUND,ALSO WHAT ABOUT THE BRITISH.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 08:07:59 PM »
I think the British do have one or two
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 10:03:15 PM »
DOES JAPAN HAVE ANY OF THE I-CLASS BOATS STILL AROUND,ALSO WHAT ABOUT THE BRITISH.

All caps means your yelling mate.  ;)
Here no one really cares, but if you ever went to others sites they are picky on that stuff. Just a tip...
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

chris

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 07:14:45 PM »
MAYBE THEY NEED A LIFE.CAPS ARE BETTER ON MY EYES!

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 07:19:25 PM »
It's cool with me. :) I was just giving a FYI so you don't get bashed on other sites. Alot of the sites I go to are pretty strict on the all caps thing. But they are also on grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. And also don't allow "leet speak". ( It would look like L33T $P3@K saying leet speak.)

I wasn't bashing you man so I hope it didn't come across that way.

chris

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 07:24:23 PM »
No it's o.k.I have heard about the caps thing before.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 02:43:06 PM »
Don't feel bad, Chris.  My dad always emails me in caps for the same reason.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 04:20:33 PM »
Caps - no caps - handy tip

Shift + F3 will shift your text from all caps to no caps, and to only the first word of a sentence in caps.  Just highlight the text string you want to change

This does not work in these BBS window fields, it works in word, and almost any other program.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John