Author Topic: Method for replacing 1MC components?  (Read 7940 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Method for replacing 1MC components?
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:40:09 PM »
Guys,

When you went through the 1MC stack and replaced the capacitors, how easy was it to reach all of the capacitors, cut them out, solder in modern ones, etc.?  I'm assuming that you didn't dismantle the whole stack, seeing how intricately wired together the whole thing is.  The last thing that I want to do is start cutting wires and then having to label them all to remember how it went back together.

My plan is to use the fail-open type of capacitor that will outlive any of us... short of a lightning strike.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Method for replacing 1MC components?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:57:57 PM »
This is a Chief Bill question.  I will ask him if it is ok to send you his email address.  Bill is the man for this thing. 
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 06:05:42 PM »
Okay.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:27:06 PM »
My plan is to use the fail-open type of capacitor that will outlive any of us... short of a lightning strike

Mark S. - When you begin working on this, I'd like to track it on the website...a work log and photos or something.  This is a big deal IMHO and needs to be highlighted.  With other subs getting engines and TDC's working, I'm excited to get some equipment running again on the BATFISH

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:01:39 AM »
Not a problem.  I already created a website showing the 1MC stack's current condition. 

http://www.352nd-mlha.com/Batfish%201MC/index.html

Ignore the tube list at the bottom and my remarks about the reproducer connection box.  Upon closer inspection, there are 7 terminals up top and 12 terminals on the bottom - inside the box.  10 represents the number of reproducer locations on the boat, including the bridge, and the other 2 of the 12 are supposed to be spare terminals for additional/modified connections.  I'm not sure what the number 7 reperesents, since there are supposed to be nine H-9 diving horns.  One of the signal generators is supposed to create a simulated diving horn noise, but the H-9's were installed for back-up, in case the 1MC broke - that is my understanding from reading the manual.  I'm not sure how the bypass worked, where it was connected, if we even have the horns on board, anymore, etc.

I have the Torks's electrical guru's (Bill) email address, now, and plan to pick his brain on the subtle nuances of the 1MC system.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:04:35 AM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 12:25:53 AM »
The capacitors were all easy to reach and remove.  The transformers are another story.  Our biggest problem with the 1MC restoration on Torsk has been transformer failure.  I wish our only problems was with caps.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »
I plan to eventually take the whole thing apart.  It will be a major overhaul probably spanning years.

Meanwhile, there is talk of installing a modern sound system maybe in the storage room under the radio room and running inidvidual wires to each compartment to control the volume and centralize the sound effects,

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor