Author Topic: WWII museum plans more focus on subs  (Read 7330 times)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
WWII museum plans more focus on subs
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:07:51 AM »
Intereesting article about a WWII museum in New Orleans that now plans to include exhibits on submarines.  They are dedicating 1500 square feet.  The article says that artificates are in short supply for them - but want to recognize the contribution made by Submariners during WWII. 

Lance you may want to contact the museum to see what they plan.

by Bruce Brown • bbrown@theadvertiser.com • July 23, 2008
The National World War II Museum in New Orleans, originally conceived and opened as the National D-Day Museum, is expanding its focus to include more aspects of World War II.
The initial focus was on the D-Day Invasion of Normandy, which featured the landing craft designed by New Orleans' Andrew Higgins, and the museum's scope has increased to include both the European and Pacific theaters.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080723/NEWS01/807230329/1002
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Re: WWII museum plans more focus on subs
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:53:01 PM »
The men who sailed our boats during WWII certainly deserve all the recognition they can get!!!!!!  Their scarifice and accomplishments don't get near the praise that is deserved, which is why the USSVI is so important.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 02:05:11 PM »
This is going to be great. However, I just hope that their recreation of a submarine's interior is accurate, which it probably will be. I visited the D-Day museum when I was in sixth grade and everything was recreated ver well so it should be quite an exhibit, the we all will have to see.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:34:56 PM »
That sounds cool. I wonder what all they have planned for the exhibits. They can't top us though....we have the actual boats!  ;)

But arrogance and fun aside I think this will be worth the trip to see.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 12:18:09 AM »
They might want a real sub, so that when the next flood hits the Big Easy, at least that artifact will survive!  I heard that much of their collection was damaged by the hurricane.  Looking at the architectural "fantasy" illustrations, it looks like they are hoping to have a Type VII U-boat (or part of?) and a V-2!! Maybe their illustrator was smoking some dope when they put the presentation together.  :2funny:

There are companies (with Hollywood experience) who will build you this kind of stuff, but it is EXPENSIVE and ultimately, the purists like us will not be impressed by a "prop" when we can see the real thing somewhere else.  Sorta of like why I never visited EPCOT and probably never will... let me get intestinal distress by visiting the REAL third World, not a Disney repro!

:crazy2:

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 10:00:42 AM »
if I remember correctly,  Tom Haks has a hand in this some how.   

NUF  SAID........