Author Topic: Exterior renovations  (Read 58409 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Exterior renovations
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 05:33:17 PM »
Lance - I have your photos also...need to download from my camera and send them later today.

Photos, photos, wherefore art thou, photos?  :)  email 'em to me bud.

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 11:08:09 PM »
Photos, photos, wherefore art thou, photos?    email 'em to me bud.

I sent you three of them just now via email.  Take a look and let me know if they'll work.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 11:35:06 PM »
They look great!  Too bad the grass isn't green yet though.  hehe

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 11:37:04 PM »
They look great!  Too bad the grass isn't green yet though.  hehe

There was actually snow on the ground when we arrived that morning...so I'll take dead grass over snow any day.

If you want one with green grass, I can take more later on in the spring or early summer
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 04:03:38 PM »
I am going to try and cleirify some questions here.  I have already posted most of this info on the reinactors site.  I am just getting caught up with you guys.   

Ok Memorail exhibit.  This was the exhibit that ONEOK used to help rais funds for the memorial in HI.  We had it on indefinate loan until the other contributors needed their items back.  (Major downer).   We currently have an Viet Nam era exhibit in place now and a very small Gulf Wars exhibit in there now( I need more stuff for this one).   In the future we will be puting an exhibit featuring torpedos and an exhibit featuring Women in the Service (from Rosie to today).  All exhibits are being redeveloped to help remove the clutter and make the museum as a whole more organized.

We actually ahve 2 Geo Cashing sites on the boat.  The GPS group shows more intereest then the letter box group.  Kind of a neat feature here.   

On the issue of paint,  I am working with the Batfish Memorail Foundation.  Some changes are happening there.  It looks like they will be loosing 1 member due to the inactivity of the group.  On the good side though,  I have started communicating with the board chair Matt Albright.  He seems to be willing to help.  We just have to learn how to work within their peamiters.  I am going to take up the banner on the whole paint issue so to speak to help aleviate all of the past isssues that have occured.  I am working with Libert Auto (military vehicle restoration)  to develope a process that will include a sand blasting of the boat and repaint.   The next step in this process will be to get some one to test the paint on the boat and the soil arround the boat for contamination.   The best out come here will be a .5m lead contant on the boat and contaminated soil.  This will make things work really well.  Liberty Auto has already found some people that will help aleviat the costs by donation of some supplies.   I would really like to get our groups involved when it coms time to paint the boat.  This way we are only paying for the cost of Liberty Autos time.   

Yes,  the deck is going down ASAP.  The Navy is going to site this as a safty issue.  This will be a cut and dry job as all the hardware on the boat is brass and still good.  The wood is on site.  I just need man power.  We will want to miter the joints between each plank that is to be put down.  I have technical docs to show how this is to be done.  At the same time I would like to replace some of the angle iron in the supperstructure to help support the deck.  We will need some welding help and angle iiron to do this.  I am going to break the deck down into sections starting at the front and work backwards.  We will ahve to work around the visitors as we complet this project. When this job is completed,  we will be removing the plywood pathway and the chaiin marking the pathway to allow visitors to walk freely on the deck.  We will also move the front fence line to the end of the wood portion of the deck.

I also want to add that Dennis Gilbert is going to try and get the subvets to help on this project during the reunion.  I do not forsee them getting the entire deck completed so we could use all the help we can get.

Rick

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 11:35:44 PM »
Sounds good Rick. I am not that good at cutting wood, but I sure will try my best to help over the summer to get the deck put on.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 09:21:37 AM »
I'll assist where I can.  Even if it means bolting new wood to the deck.  What type of wood are you using?  Ipe?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 09:25:09 AM »
We are using a Brazilian Purple Heart wood.  This is the same wood that the Cavalla used and is the closest thing to Teak that we can get.   We are not going to treat it in any way.  It is my understanding that the Cavalla tried to treat their wood, but was unsuccessful as the wood was too dense and would not absorbe anything.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 09:26:30 AM »
I assume that treating and painting are two different things?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 09:32:11 AM »
No,  they are the same.  According to the Cavala the wood just does not take it.  Also as is ages, it pick up that nice dark grey color.   i have pics of the cavalla deck remind me next time you come down and I will show you what they look like.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 09:34:57 AM »
Okay.  Sounds good to me.  One less thing that we have to paint.  :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 06:37:44 PM »
Luckily the wood is already kind of aged. lol. However, with not being able to paint it, the Batfish will not be in full WWII appearance.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 06:40:15 PM by Travis McLain »

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 07:55:20 PM »
the Batfish will not be in full WWII appearance

That's not the only thing.  There were many post-war modifications.  But a new deck, cut and laid out straight, will go along way to helping that.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 08:37:24 PM »
Yeah, I know that. It will look alot better, and deifferent though.  :)

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 09:34:38 PM »
I have noticed that there are a lot of hatches cut into the deck.  These are obviously access points to get to items in the super structure.  Does anyone know if the deck was solid, or did it have these access point there?