Author Topic: Exterior renovations  (Read 58388 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Exterior renovations
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2008, 12:06:43 PM »
the pic I posted earlier is were we are at.  If you look close you can see that the support struts are missing.  I will need to work Vaugh to replace them.  He has not problem in doing that.  I am waiting to see what Mark A has in store for him next I do not want to inindate anyonw with too much. 

Mark A,  What is on Vaughns do to list?

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2008, 12:59:28 PM »
Mark A,  What is on Vaughns do to list?

All I know is that he is working on making those 40mm handles and is making the connecting rod for the port side gear boxes.  On May 3rd, the plan is to have that all done and he is going to install all of that on the 40mm.  We should, by the end of the day on the 3rd be able to move the gun by hand.

After that...I'm not sure what he has in store.  I've talked to him about a new motor for the SJ mast...and maybe might have him look into the option of rigging out the bow planes.  These two things are not set...just stuff we've talked about.

If you got something you need, go for it...all I need him for on the 3rd is a little bit of welding...maybe an hours worth of his time.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 01:07:30 PM by MWALLEN »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2008, 02:45:08 PM »
Mark A
Thank you.  I will turn him loose on the 40 mm to finish.  Then I would like him to get the supports finished for the bridge area.   He may be able to do this at the same time.  We will see.  I do not want to rush him.  I think then we can go to rigging the dive planes...

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2008, 03:22:11 PM »
If you got him out there welding stuff, have him do foot holds, too, if it isn't too big of a bother.  Obviously paint will have to be chipped to prep the metal and then it all needs to be primered.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2008, 03:25:40 PM »
Then I would like him to get the supports finished for the bridge area.

Oh yes, that is more important by far...how could I have forgotten that...having to watch my step between the aft bridge and the CT hatch last Saturday.

The SJ motor and the bow planes were just ideas...the deck supports are a necessity.

As for foot holds, we should really hold off on that until we finish with the gun and the new deck on the bridge is put down.  All we need is someone to climb up there and fling themselves into the hole made by the missing deck.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2008, 03:28:52 PM »
True.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2008, 04:44:25 PM »
You are right on.  You all know how people can be.  They are warned about the hazards of the boat,  but they still do not listen. 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2008, 05:12:09 PM »
Well, now we found a use for the forward battery compartment.  Loot and dump the fool-hardy visitors down there.   :knuppel2:

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2008, 05:21:45 PM »
 ;D

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2008, 01:49:08 PM »
Would the vets and the board be opposed to cleaning up the really bad rust spots on the boat and hitting them with a fresh coat of gray primer?  This will buy the boat a little more time until they finish arguing about sand-blasting it.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor