Author Topic: Off topic - sort of  (Read 4827 times)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Off topic - sort of
« on: August 01, 2008, 06:53:35 PM »
What practical jokes were you the instigator, or recipient of on board your sub?  I'd like to get a few good ones that I can use in my newsletter. Here's a personal one to start...

When I reported on board the USS Picuda (SS-382) I already had a mustache, in fact it was already a handlebar mustache. I was nearing my qualification, and we were out for about a week in the Gulf of Mexico. I had topside watch in the morning. I got up, dressed, eat, and went on watch.  I'd chatted with a few shipmates, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. You know the drill, not much time to freshen up.  So I'm topside and it was about an hour later when for some reason I licked my lips - something was wrong.  Half my mustache was missing - yes during the night, some of the guys were able to "shave" half of my mustache off.  To this day I don't know who did it.  And I still do not know how I slept through the shaving.  Grrrr....
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Off topic - sort of
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 03:04:41 PM »
Sorry, guys i am a zoomie and I have to improvise on these....

I have on occasion asked my younger volunteers to go down to the boat and find me 50 yrds of flight line.   

Granted this is an old carry over from the AF, but it does keep them busy for a few hours.........

I have a good one from the SP's in the AF about a male recruit and a papsmear......      :2funny:

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:43:20 AM »
Can anyone tie a "draggin' bowline?"  That was always good for a laugh with new hands and "educated gentlemen."
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:41:17 PM »
This one I was exposed to while I was a skimmer on the USS Robert A. Owens (DD827).  We were out on our shakedown after the JP-5 fuel conversion (at least I think that's what we converted to).  Anyway, there was a big commotion on the fantail.  I went back there and everyone was talking about the "sea bat" that was just captured.  Well, I had been in the Navy a while by then and figured that this was one of those jokes often pulled on the new guys.  So, I stood around and watched.  When asked, I said I'd already seen one.  Sure enough, a fresh young SA walked up and set "Let me see it."  Well, alledgedly the creature was in a cardboard box on the fantail.  The newby was told to bend down low and look under the edge of the box.  They couldn't lift the box any higher for fear the sea bat would escape. So, like the rookie he was, he bent over as low as he could.  just as the box was lifted, someone smacked him in the butt with a broom.  To make this one even funnier, the guy turns around and says "hey, knock it off" and immediately turns around, assumes the position so he can see the sea bat.  Some folks should have probably stayed on the farm. I think he caught on after he got whacked a second time.