Author Topic: School of the boat for 5 Aug 08  (Read 16700 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
School of the boat for 5 Aug 08
« on: August 05, 2008, 07:22:34 PM »
Alright folks here is the school of the boat for this week.....

This is an ALL HANDS evolution and not just one or two people answering these questions, while I understand work schedules and what not's, those that are interested in doing the school of the boat need to get involved and answer these questions also. So with that JT you are exempt this week from answering the question that is about to be asked.

What are the TANKS from the Control Room to the Crew's Quarters (other wise known as "Hogan's Alley).
and for extra credit how much weight can a boat gain with having ALL of the FWD (Officer's country fwd) tanks full compared to empty???

Darrin

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: School of the boat for 5 Aug 08
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:15:46 AM »
Not fair!
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »
NitPicking correction:

The term "Hogan's Alley" refers to the port-side ailse or companionway in the crew's berthing space. This is a WWII reference. Now for 100 extra credit points:
What is the story behind "Hogan's Alley?"

PF
 :coolsmiley:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »
There were some that used Hogan's Alley for all of the crews quarters in afterbattery. (known only to those I am sure)

I guess I'm still banned from answerring - but I don't think you are referring to the FBI or a cartoon strip. Always berthing in the forward torpedo room I wouldn't  ::) know...
-----

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:22:10 PM »
Ya know Paul, sadly I have been told the answer behind Hogan's Alley once or twice before but I can't remember it right now, and yes you are right about it being the inboard passage way, too much poo poo on my mind right now. Hey JT give it a couple of days and if no one else has pitched in you can have at the answer to the School of the boat question.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:55:51 PM »
ok, I wont chim in for a few days.  These are great questions.  Everyone jump in :-X
-----

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 08:19:08 AM »
It's crazy busy lately.  And it seems this is the peak "away from the internet" time for everyone.  I want to look up some answers as soon as I can.  :)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 12:40:22 PM »
A cartoon historian told me that Hogan's Alley was a cartoon strip popular during the depression/war years... it was a place inhabited by "strange characters."  The junior enlisted men had to bunk on the main companion way in the AB space... where the guys would lineup to get a seat in the mess. While waiting, they would talk, put feet on bunk rails, etc., pissing off those guys trying to sleep. The senior guys grabbed bunks on the port side companionway which was away from most of the traffic and distraction. The junior guys began referring to that passage as Hogan's Alley out of jealousy.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!!   :uglystupid2:

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 03:09:31 PM »
There was a cartoon by the name Hogan's Alley from the late 1800's.  And what you said is pretty true. I was alwlays thankful to be up in the forward torpedo room.

There was also some reference back to sailing days - it had to do with the foc'sle and rumors.   Ya know sailors do like to start rumors.  Anyway I can't remember what this was about.
-----

John

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 11:19:39 AM »
Will no one answer the question of the week?  If not I might post something on Sunday night - if OK with Darrin.

What are the TANKS from the Control Room to the Crew's Quarters (other wise known as "Hogan's Alley).
and for extra credit how much weight can a boat gain with having ALL of the FWD (Officer's country fwd) tanks full compared to empty???
-----

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 11:58:19 AM »
Ok JT you can have at it, it seems like there are a lot of people whom are lurking but don't want to answer the question. A good friend of mine on Torsk (another TM) lurks here and he is impressed that we are taking the time to reteach this information and I had hoped that a number of other people would participate instead of a few. I am not going to stop with the school of the boat until people either have told me that they don't want to participate or we have gone through all of the manual(s).

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »
Darrin - I REALLY appreciate you doing this.  It seems that all BBS sites are a bit slower lately, I guess it's the time of year.  Fall will be here soon.

Right now, if I'm sitting in front of the computer, I'm working on the convention presentation.  It's a lot more work than I ever imagined.

Keep up the great work on these, it's good fer dummies like me.  :)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 06:18:20 AM »
Control Room tanks:
MBT 2A and 2B - 129.03 tons of sea water

After Battey/Galley/Crews Quarters
FBT 3A and 3B - 19,196 gallons each
FWT 3 and 4 - 973 gallons each (now you see why we did not shower much)
Safety Tank - 23.23 Tons of sea water
Auxiliary Tank 1 and 2 - 30.77 Tons sea water in each
FBT 4A and 4B - 24,089 Gallons each (Manual has these labeled in the diagram as MBT 4A and 4B, but it gives the capacity in gallons)
#2 Sanitary Tank - 2.57 Tons or 673 gallons
Reserve Lube Oil Tank - 1,201 gallons
FBT 5A and5B - 19,458 gallons each.

FBT 4A and 4B - these tanks must be full when diving - hence considered ballast tanks.  On long patrols these were filled with fuel to extend the patrol range.

There is about 111.77 Tons of sea water in the tanks from Officers Quarters going foward.
These are in Tons of sea water: Bow Bouyancy 31.69, Frw Trim 24.31, WRT 4.94, MBT 1 49.17 and Sanitary 1.66 Tons of stuff
Normal tanks such as Battery Water 1 and 2, Fresh water 1 and 2, and Normal Fuel oil 1 and 2 are not included.  These tanks would be included in the normal displacement of the boat both on the surface and submerged.
-----

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 07:09:51 AM »
Great job once more JT, now if all of those tanks were full that boat will be nose heavy and you would have to shift water aft assuming you had room to do so or blow some of it over to get a good trim dive

Darrin

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »
Maybe if we offer a autographed picture of Lance up on a 5"/25 gun mount we would get more folks rushing to answer your questions. In the mean time keep them coming Darrin.   ;D
-----

John