Author Topic: WW2 Sub Patrol Reports on DVD  (Read 4776 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
WW2 Sub Patrol Reports on DVD
« on: August 16, 2008, 05:29:44 PM »
http://www.usssealion.com/NSL/war_patrols.htm

From the website:

For the first time ever the total collection of  WWII U.S. Naval Submarine War Patrol Reports are now available in PDF/JPEG format via DVDs/CDs.  These reports have been languishing in the outdated microfiche /microfilm format since the late 60's - almost 50 years now.  This offering is the culmination of a massive effort to have those microfilm records of some 255 submarines, making over 1,600 WWII war patrols brought up to current digital technology.  To purchase your own microfiche copies from the National Archives, your cost would be over $4,900.00 for some 63,000 pages.  All of these pages printed up (single sided) would result in a book over 22 feet long! With these 28 DVDs you can readily understand just how beneficial cost wise this project could be to you at only about 1/10 of a cent per page for the full set

I just ordered the complete set...cost me a bit, but can use it for my Master's Degree in Military History.

Anway...some cool stuff there, you can order for certain boats...or all boats...etc...

Just an FYI.

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: WW2 Sub Patrol Reports on DVD
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:22:12 PM »
John Clear is a nice fella.  He sent me the Tambor and Sand Lance patrol CDs when he found out I was a submariner's grandson.

They are a good read, and it's straight from the source.

There is also a Submarine Evolution 1900-2003 poster on that website for sale.  I keep meaning to order one.  It would be VERY useful to anyone interested in submarines.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 07:06:50 PM by Lance Dean »

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: WW2 Sub Patrol Reports on DVD
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 01:44:18 PM »
The patrol reports have arrived.  Christmas in August!!   :)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke