Author Topic: Great condition, but....  (Read 12390 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Great condition, but....
« on: August 15, 2008, 10:03:44 AM »
The Becuna seems to be in great condition (at least on the inside from what I can tell).  But it seems like the sub is pretty restrictive.  I'm not criticizing by any means.  But from what I could gather from the photos that I have been sent, so much of each compartment is off limits.  Maybe they had problems in the past?

I'm attaching a couple of photos of the maneuvering room so you can see what I'm talking about.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Great condition, but....
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »
It keeps everything nice and shiny, but I feel like I get robbed when I visit a boat like this.  Batfish isn't pristine, but people feel welcome... even after they break off knobs from the radios and WCA stack.  :knuppel2:

This past weekend we had our living history event on the Batfish - and brought in a nice wad of cash for the museum.  We cooked, cleaned, hung out in the ward room, laid around on bunks reading mags, etc.  I don't know if too many museum boats or ships can brag about an experience like that.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:43:06 PM »
For our work weekends we have volunteers onboard between 3 and 5 days and we keep our gear on our bunks and man the boat like we would if she were still commissioned with the exception of a duty roster.  And every saturday we have volunteers onboard in a number of the compartments and we all walk through the boat from time to time (usually to get parts or tools) and we give impromtu tours while we are there, there have been many days when we have stopped working to answer questions and end up giving the whole tour of the boat and very rarely we will bring tourists' onboard before the boat opens for the day and that tends to be the submarine sailors who show up and ask for a tour or the occassional dad who has his kids for the weekend.. I have been known to bring them on board being a single dad and I feel for them and what they are going through, many have left donations for us because we went above and beyond what they were expecting for a tour. 

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »
So, it definitely pays to make people feel welcome, as opposed to visiting another Smithsonian.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »
I occasionaly get a donation after giving tours and frequently get one mailed after they have returned home because of the tour. I also give out my e-mail to the visitors that are really interested and now have about twenty that stay in touch.
Tom Bowser

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 06:25:47 PM »
it does pay to make them feel welcome and at home if possible, they all leave with a better understanding of what we went through and most leave with a profound respect that they never had before for the silent service.