Author Topic: So about the Requin...  (Read 18552 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
So about the Requin...
« on: August 15, 2008, 10:11:02 AM »
Since the Requin is the only other Tench class submarine museum besides the Torsk, I was curious as to how much you Torsk fellas have interacted with the Requin fellas?

I've read that the Requin has a great tour.  From the few photos I've seen, the boat appears to be in great shape.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: So about the Requin...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »
I never enjoyed the guided tours on the Requin, but I haven't visited her in over 10 years.  The guides tended to act like know-it-alls, but were ignorant in a lot of areas.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:51:29 PM »
We try to work with all of the museums and see how we can change how we are doing things, the biggest thing that we find with a lot of boats is they look pretty inside but the gear doesn't work other then having the lights modified to light up. We still believe in the old adage of "shine she may, work she must" a lot of our gear onboard has been painfully restored over the years and we have been bringing her back to life piece by piece and with the correct components being used and not a substitute for the real thing. One of our tourist's was telling his kids that the sounds that they heard from Radio were recordings and that we couldn't possibly have it working once more and for the first time in the 4 years that I have been onboard the dad was corrected and told that the sounds coming from Radio and SONAR were not tape recorded that both systems work with in reason (we can't ping the harbor but we can listen through a transducer that is over the side and then routed through the gear in SONAR so we can actually hear the inner harbor). Last week we did get parts from the Requin and we are gratefull that we were able to get those to help in our restoration efforts.

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »
Are you guys working toward getting active sonar working, again?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:32:48 PM »
Last word that I have about getting our sonar back up and able to ping is not at this time, we have the chin bubble on torsk and there is only 1 volunteer that was there for the last shipyard period and until we get the chin open we don't really know what is there and what we will be able to do with it. That and it is always nice to have DC power to power some of the equipment and right now we don't have DC running, maybe one day we will have limited DC power running through the boat. There is a rumor of getting our fathometer back up and running and being able to ping but that is out of my lane of responsiblity or knowledge.

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:04:39 AM »
That's cool.  One of the boats was in the process of installing small car-like DC batteries in their forward and after battery compartments to power items like emergency lighting - they were donated by a local company.  I thought it was you guys on the Torsk, but maybe it was Drum or Cod.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 12:13:44 PM »
that was us that recieved the batteries for the After Battery and they will be used for the Emergency lights and hopefully other pieces of equipment ;)

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 12:58:49 AM »
How many DC amps do the boats need to run the majority of available systems?  Mark is our wiring capable?  It would be pretty easy (I have used it on my H20 powered engines boosters) to A/C across a bridge to DC and power up?  I use DC-in and invert to a higher A/C voltage and then bridge back to people-killing DC to produce Hydroxy gas.  I know our manuevering circuits are gone but what else is amiss?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »
Jim,

I have never done a hand-over-hand inspection of the DC cabling through the boat.  I know that it's severed between the forward and aft sections of the boat.

We have discussed installing a large DC inverter in the aft battery compartment (battery well) to power things like the electrical grills/ovens.  However, there is a lot of DC equipment that we would probably never run again.

The Fleet Boat manuals do not add up all of the required amperage to run every last piece of DC equipment.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor