Author Topic: Energizer bunny?  (Read 13197 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Energizer bunny?
« on: August 15, 2008, 10:40:27 AM »
OK Dave, I had to share this photo with everyone and ask what's the story behind it?

This photo was taken by Daniel Fiore, and you sent me a similar one as well.  I'd like to hear what Paul Farace thinks about this too.  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:46:51 AM by Lance Dean »

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Energizer bunny?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 12:56:32 PM »
If I had to guess about that pic the energizer bunny is setting in the battery well and mounted to the height where the batteries used to set. ;)

Offline Dave595

• USS Blueback Volunteer
  • Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 06:31:45 PM »
He is in the after well, all right, but he is on top of the batteries that are still there.  Submarine batteries are just like the energizer models.  They keep going and going and going.

Offline Dave595

• USS Blueback Volunteer
  • Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:05:25 PM »
The well is not quite as us electricians usually kept a battery well, but you can see the cell tops, most of the air agitation system, and the fuse boxes for the wiring going to the battery test panel up in crew's mess.

Offline Dave595

• USS Blueback Volunteer
  • Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:07:29 PM »
Here is the panel on the fwd bulkhead of crew's mess.

Offline Dave595

• USS Blueback Volunteer
  • Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 07:17:45 PM »
As this picture shows, the bunny has just finished his pilot cell gravities, has put the hydrometer back in the box, and is back to beating on his drum knowing full well that the battery is up to his standards.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:46:42 PM »
While I am jealous that you still have your batteries onboard I set here and think were in the hell would we do all of our restoration work if we still had ours??

Offline Dave595

• USS Blueback Volunteer
  • Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 08:07:49 PM »
Maybe you  could get them to haul that old wooden skimmer alongside from across the harbor and use her for a work barge.  It has been a long time since I spent the night on my uncle's sail boat tied up at a dock in the inner harbor.  We sailed up the bay past Ft. McHenry, under the Francis Scott Key bridge, past the Torsk and the Constellation.  I don't think that the Torsk was open for tours at the time we were there.  I know that Liberace was giving a concert in a band shell across the harbor from where we were moored.  We could hear him.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 09:22:23 PM »
Well Torsk has been open since '72 and I am sure that there were times that she was closed for reason's beyond restoration the wooded barge on the other hand we would be shot if we tried to use her as a work barge... The Chesapeak we might be able to get away with but the Conny???? not a freakin chance.. Heck we have been the bastard children for many many moons now and if we did that we would be worse then the preverbial red headed step child. hey Dave would you like to come up and work on her in October during her work weekend??? I have it on good authority that they are missing a nukie poo TM this year for the first time in 4 years and they need a hard worker to fill his shoes..... Something about shoulder surgery is keeping me.. er him away from the boat this year for what would have been his 5th work weekend. :(
Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 11:09:06 AM »
Nice pics of a full battery compartment.  Batfish lost her batteries a long time ago.  We plan on making one of the compartments into a work shop.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 12:15:28 PM »
Our After battery well is our work shop and our forward battery well is our archives along with over flow storage, works out real good