Author Topic: Recent visitors and work aboard USS COD  (Read 6560 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Recent visitors and work aboard USS COD
« on: August 24, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »
The weekend was busy aboard COD. We had the XO of the USS GEORGIA SSGN aboard with his family. He is a Clevelander!
We continue to work on the deck plates... and according to our lovely deck apes, the COD can now boast that no part of the steel deck is now unsafe... OH if only we could say that about the wood deck!!! 
Just gotta find the elderly mother of some VIP who will immediately fall thought said unsafe wood portion to identify it to us!  It has HAPPENED already, TWICE!

Paul

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Recent visitors and work aboard USS COD
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 02:21:22 PM »
Looks very good, guys. 

I can actually say that I feel pretty safe standing on the metal deck on the Batfish.   That's not to say that it doesn't need some TLC.  I need to be there when they start sand blasting her.  I can only imagine how they're going to blast some of those crawl spaces.  Especially the bow boyancy tank compartment.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:33:23 PM »
Bow Bouyancy on the Drum is going to be easy. I can stand on the deck topside,  look down thru the tank vent and see the ground, it is all gone. Something else I will have to replace, at least some framing for strength. The areas that are really going to be fun are the WRT's out board the tubes.
Tom Bowser

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:11:45 PM »
Sandblasting on a sub?  Please watch out for soft metals, like bronze and brass... we didn't and they got badly scarred by the sandblasters... think in terms of the deck ID plates and the capstan drum.

Oh, if my timemachine were only working...

:buck2:

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »
Paul, I'm dense on the steel deck plating.  What the guy was fabricating...what was there before?  Nothing?