SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 11:46:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Contact admin:
email" border="0" width="230" height="21
11073 Posts in 1378 Topics by 184 Members
Latest Member: SonofaClamagoreVet
* Home Help Search Calendar Personal Messages Members Login Register
+  SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG Forum
|-+  Individual Submarine Boards
| |-+  USS Batfish (SS-310)
| | |-+  U.S.S. Batfish
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: U.S.S. Batfish  (Read 6308 times)
Travis McLain
USS Batfish Volunteer
Petty Officer 1st Class

Total BZs: 2

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:24:32 PM »

Currently at the Batfish there are many projects going on, however the biggest one is getting the outside revamped: new paint, hopefully replacing the deck gun. Right now I dont have any project myself as I try to work on everything, but I will be looking for my own project next time I am down there.

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."
Mark Sarsfield
Former USS Batfish Volunteer
Chief Petty Officer

Total BZs: 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:10:38 AM »

One of the guys who works on the Torsk highly recommends that you pick a project and stick with it.  It's very tempting to work on everything that you see wrong, but the end result is that nothing gets done.  It would really help the museum if you come up with a  to-do list for a given project and also try to estimate time and money for each step.  This helps the museum get funding easier.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:22:57 AM by Mark Sarsfield » Logged

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy
Travis McLain
USS Batfish Volunteer
Petty Officer 1st Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:10:24 PM »

Yea, AVG Warhawk has told me that alot too (this is Travis aka shoot-kill-win on subsim). But Rick usually has me doing alot down there from giving tours, to working on the 52 subs memorial, to working the gift shop, to making displays, and working down in the sub by cleaning it up. That is most of what I did last summer, however I mostly cleaned up the interior and gave tours (those are my two favorite things down there). I hope to get my own project this summer, once I talk with Rick about what everyone else is doing.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."
Lance Dean
USS Drum Fan
Forum Administrator

Total BZs: 10

John calls me "Gunner"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:29:43 PM »

It'd be great to have Rick on here, if he's the forum type.

Travis McLain
USS Batfish Volunteer
Petty Officer 1st Class

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 06:36:25 PM »

Im sure he would like to but they still have dsl connection at the Batfish, so I don't know how that would work out for him.

Mark Sarsfield
Chief Petty Officer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 08:01:26 AM »

Rick created a user account yesterday called USS Batfish.  I'm not sure how often he will post here.  He posts on occasion on our Batfish Yahoo! group forum.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy
MWALLEN
Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
Forum Moderator

Total BZs: 11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 11:21:31 PM »

I'll hit up Rick about it.  He's done wonders for the museum (should have seen in back in 1998 when I started volunteering there).  BTW - had a great turnout today at the park and a great show for the navy inspectors.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Travis McLain
USS Batfish Volunteer
Petty Officer 1st Class

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 11:55:04 PM »

That is great. I really wish I could have been there, but of course Senior year of High school keeps getting in the way. LOL. I have my AP class tests during the crew reunion, and I am graduating on the date of the  Living history event in May.

Mark Sarsfield
Chief Petty Officer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 01:16:54 PM »

I wish that I could have been there for Navy day, too.  Funerals (and school) are never a convenience for anybody.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Travis McLain
USS Batfish Volunteer
Petty Officer 1st Class

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 03:52:16 PM »

You are correct there.

MWALLEN
Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
Forum Moderator

Total BZs: 11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 11:49:56 AM »

I really wish I could have been there

My wife and I...and Vaughn will be at the sub on the 22nd.  I know it's the Saturday before Easter...but would be nice to get some volunteers out there, if available.

Travis - any chance of coming over Spring Break?  Would be nice to meet you.

Also, forgot to ask Rick yesterday about the inspection, just sent him an email about it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Travis McLain
USS Batfish Volunteer
Petty Officer 1st Class

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »

Yes, I will  come down there for spring break (have an interview at OSU). I will be coming down March 29 I think and leaving the 6th of April, howeer I will probably come up on a weekday, as I have the OSU thing on the weekend.

Rick
Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
Chief Petty Officer

Total BZs: 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 01:00:41 PM »

Rick here.  I am posting.  I think I have my profile set to send my the emails when they are posted.  that is the easiest way for me to get them as I am always busy doing something oner here. 

Travis.  let me know when you come down.  I will show up one way or another.  We will go have lunch while you are here.   Also.  I do have community service people helping with the general maintenace stuff.  I encourage you to pick a project and work on it.  I know how easy it is to get bogged dwon with everything going on here.   

Anyone hta thas any question, feel free to contact me at the museum or at my email address ussbatfish@sbcglobal.net.   

Rick
Lance Dean
USS Drum Fan
Forum Administrator

Total BZs: 10

John calls me "Gunner"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 03:35:38 PM »

Welcome Rick, so glad you're here!

Travis McLain
USS Batfish Volunteer
Petty Officer 1st Class

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 05:58:04 PM »

I will let you know Rick.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: