Author Topic: Labor Day - what is everyone doing?  (Read 13600 times)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Labor Day - what is everyone doing?
« on: August 30, 2008, 11:00:53 AM »
Labor Day has been celebrated on the first Monday in September in the United States since the 1880s. Congress made Labor Day a federal holiday in 1894.  All fifty states have made Labor Day a state holiday.  Traditionally, Labor Day is celebrated by most Americans as the symbolic end of the summer.

So what is everyone doing?  Me - sitting in my office working on Hogan's Alley and studing my Fleet Type Submarine manual so Darrin cannot stump me (well he can actually)!  Don't feel sorry for me - the wife is working all weekend so it's my free time to do submarine stuff.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Labor Day - what is everyone doing?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »
I have some guys coming over later tonight for beer and video games.  Rest of weekend will be fairly quiet.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 05:02:29 PM »
We are preparing to have our ass blown away by Gustov and/or Hanna.  The interstate is down to a crawl in town where I-59 merges into I-20.  Louisiana people EVERYWHERE here.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 09:58:10 PM »
Worked on the Torsk with a good crew and with an old friend who hadn't seen her in almost 5 years (former crew member and vol who had to delay being a vol due to working too much). We spent 8 hours on the road (4 hours both ways) and then worked on her for 7.5 today and we brought my son for his second work day and he had a ball for most of the day 8)

Now I am having a sleep over for my son and one of his friends, hell I haven't even changed out of my work clothes yet other then my shirt because of the pigeon poo smell that permeated it pretty badly. Tomorrow is mowing the lawn after making the boys breakfast when I finally roll out of the rack in the morning.

Little secret folks, while I can teach the material to you I am learning at the same time and then trying to incorporate what I am learning/teaching at the same time while on on the boat. It is COMPLETELY different when you get on the boat after going through a section and then noticing everything that is used to make that system work because me personally while I thought that I "saw" everything I didn't "see" everything and now it is a learning experiance on a different level when I am on the boat because now I can associate more things and then look for other stuff that I have never "seen" before.

I am truly grateful for those whom have taken the time to set down with this and try to learn the fleet submarine manual with me because for those IMHO who actually work on the boats you hopfully will have a greater respect for what we work on now more then before as more things are taught and then hopefully apply it to your boat.

Have a GREAT Labor Day weekend all,

Darrin

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 12:44:47 AM »
Lance - stay safe buddy.  Looks like the brunt of it will fall SW of you...but who knows.  Keep us posted.

As for me...I've been working on the Batfish website and watching some football...enjoying my family on the long weekend.

Darrin - I wish I had time to get involved.  I begin a 3-year journey next week as I attempt to get my master's degree in military history (ww2 emphasis).  I'm doing some contract work in the evening to help pay for it, plus I have a full time job + kids and a wife.  I also am working on Batfish stuff at home when I can find time and try to make it to the sub every other weekend.  I will try to participate in the future as I really want to learn this.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 09:57:35 AM »
As the hurricane slides in closer, it does seem that most of it is believed to go south and west of here.  The bad thing about it is someone is gonna get it regardless.  I hate hurricanes.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 11:15:14 AM »
Lance, be sure to keep your hatches dogged so you can make things water tight in a hurry.  Batten down those hatches (from wooden/sail days). While I hate hurricanes, they are a sight and feel to be at sea in one,  Key West boats put to sea for each and every storm/hurricane and let me tell you bouncing around in a 300 foot long boat is a challenge. We'd spend a week or more at sea not knowing if we'd come back to a base at all.

Pray for all.  From what I am seeing with Homeland Security it does look as if LA is getting well prepared.  Manditory evacuations stated at 0400. National Guard is ready, as well as fire and police.  So let's pray that people heed the word and get out and get prepared.
-----

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 12:07:52 PM »
No worries Mark, I understand completely that there isn't enough time in the day especially when you have kids and a full time job and then going back to school, I do that except go back to school.. Pitch in when you can, if not just keep with us for the duration and hopefully you will learn something with all of us.
Lance, don't do the hero thing and try to ride that storm out.... too many folks learned the hard way that that isn't the way to do that during Katrina, be safe.
Hope you all have a safe weekend

Darrin

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 04:00:16 PM »
Busy week her.  Cub Scout just started up and I get to work on another low income High reward job.   We also hosted another spook investigation.    More to come on this one.   Today I spent time ploting and scheming on getting more money for the War Memorial.   I have BIG planes for this place.  Once i can get some one to pay for it.    ;D   al and all things are looking good for the Batfish.  Tomorrow I will be rounding the kids up and going to the movies.   This will be the first tims since school started that I was able to get all three of them forom the EX.   working weekends and kids in school put a damper on a lot of things..

Everyone stay safe and well,  Especially you Lance.  I ask that everyone also Keep Batfish vet Dennis Gilbert in their prayers as well as he is in the middle of all that as well.   

Rick

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 08:34:31 PM »
We also hosted another spook investigation.
OK what is with the spook investigation?  Ghosts or spies?  I got to know. I have ghosts in my house - confirmed by others so I'm not nuts. Of course the wife knows a lot about this stuff.
-----

John

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
yeah...they think there are ghosts on the sub...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 07:15:15 AM »
maybe some WWII cockroaches still kicking around.  Ghosts are cool and typically mean no harm to anyone.  :angel:
-----

John

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 04:53:20 PM »
I am trying to get my car fixed, and wishing I was at the Batfish to help work.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 08:16:28 AM »
OVer the past few months 3 groups of investigators came out to do a Ghost Hunters sty.le of investigation.   The firs 2 times they picked up a pic each.  Also some EVP's   It will be a few weeks befor I get results from the last investigation.   I will keep you posted.

Rcik

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 08:49:38 AM »
Play some praise and worship music through the speakers on the boat for a few days and then invite the hunters back.  I bet they won't detect as much activity.  I know this from first hand experience.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy