Author Topic: Morse code translator  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Morse code translator
« on: September 06, 2008, 03:18:51 PM »

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Morse code translator
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 10:30:52 AM »
Even though I passed the 5 WPM (words per minute) test for Novice in '89, I was never really that good at code.  So, I used to use a morse code decoder program with my HF radios.  Not only could it receive and translate code, but it could also send it.  You just had to type it on the computer keyboard.  The real trick was to find a frequency that had minimal static crashes.  If there was too much static, the code would not be discernable through the "white noise", but I could make out the code pretty well by ear.  I had a few good coversations at 13 WPM (general class level) and 25 WPM (extra class).  I always got complimented on having a "good fist", which means that you can send code pretty accuratley, which is just as much of an art as receiving it.  I usually divulged that I was using a computer.  Most guys were impressed, but some didn't like that and would immediately move to another frequency.

I preferred using other digital communication programs, like phased shift keying (PSK).  Basically, it was a precursor to modern chat rooms.  Both parties just type away and the text immediately shows up on the other guy's screen.  Lots of chirping and screeching, depending on what type of digital communication you were using.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy