• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Help!
« on: September 08, 2008, 07:04:19 PM »
Guys I'm about to pull my hair out here.  I can't get Tom Bowser's problem fixed.  He cannot view this forum.  He can see the various pages of the website, but not the forum.  He either gets a blank white screen or an error message (deals with MySQL database).

His IP address is no banned.  He has tried across both Internet Explorer and Firefox.  I don't think he's able to get the forum to load at all to the point of even get the chance to log in.

There are NO errors showing up in my logs.  I have run multiple repairs and they can find nothing wrong.  I can log into his account from here.

I just have no idea what could be stopping him from viewing this forum.

This one has me stumped.  Have ANY of you experienced ANY problems lately here at all?

:uglystupid2:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:22:03 PM by Lance Dean »

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 08:03:32 PM »
I'd guess the problem to be on his end from the sound of things.  Have him try another computer first.  He can go to a library to try this out if needed or a neighbor.maybe the police station (ok kidding there).

If that works - he needs to uninstall one of the affected browsers and reload that one - then see if that works. If that works - do the same for the other one.  He can also check is blocked sites list to see if some reason his spam and virus protection flagged this site.  Do that under Tools, then options.

Using a different PC is the key - if that works then he knows it is on his machine.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:30:33 PM »
Ya might want to have Tom delete this site off of his favorites list and then go through and clean out his "cookies" and then try to get back on to this site, other then that it does sound like his computer is experiancing the problem... But what the heck to JT and I know???? we are both TM's  :idiot2:

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 08:34:47 PM »
Well, no doubt his profile account was messed up.  I couldn't even access it.  So I created him a new account and deleted the old account.  Then I ran a query that made his new account take over all posts made by his old account.

I'm thinking it is now a weird cookie problem.  If this still isn't resolved tomorrow, I'll probably rename the cookie that this forum uses.  Then we'll all have to grab a new cookie after that.  I like cookies.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:03:16 PM »
I don't know from what I remember "Cookie" didn't wash his hands all that much.  Did enhance the diesel flavor in our chow.  Cumin and diesel in our SOS was bon appetite!
-----

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:07:49 PM »
hehe!

ok ok, BEWARE!  I'm changing the cookie name now.  That means if you save cookies from here to remember you, you'll have to relog next time around.

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:33:14 PM »
If he is still having problems and it's still not showing a problem from your end have him turn his anti-virus off and try and access it. Sometimes it can block certain apps. (Blocked my Firefox once and MSN IM) Could just be the settings. I would check this especially since he was getting error messages.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:39:11 PM »
Well, he can browse the rest of the website, just not the forum.  Would antivirus be able to keep him off the forum?  Hmm...interesting.

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 11:20:16 PM »
Now I am not 100% sure. But depending on what antivirus he uses yes. A program or app used to run the forum he might have blocked with out knowing it in the past making the site visable, but when the forum comes up and runs the app blocks it and times it out.

Either have him turn off the antivius or try another computer using the same screen name and password. I would say 10/1 it's on his end. Especially since there is no errors in your log. Unless it's a conflict in the server then just recreate the profile. But I doubt it's that since no one else is having any problems.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 09:23:07 AM »
OK had to log back in - but no problems.   Sometimes computers make good sea anchors (if all else fails)  :crazy2:
-----

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 09:24:48 AM »
Well, he ran CCleaner, rebooted, and still cannot access the forum.  He says in Internet Explorer he gets a white page, in Firefox he gets an error:

"Database Error: MySQL server has gone away
File: /home/lancedea/public_html/submarinemuseums/forum/Sources/Security.php
Line: 279"

I'm asking for help from the people who know SMF forums much better than I, and for the heck of it I put in a trouble ticket with the web host.  I'm just not getting any error messages and without error messages I don't know which way to go.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 09:31:22 AM »
I flipped the switch for "Disable Hostname Lookups" just now which is part of the security settings.  I'm betting this will work.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 01:36:31 PM »
Lance,
Something else that you might want to ask him to do is go to his security center on his computer and go to internet options and then go to trusted sites and type in this addy and then hopefully it will take without him having to make his computer a boat anchor or chock block for his car. And yes they work for both occassions especially if it is a big truck that he is using it for the parking break. :2funny:

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 08:30:24 AM »
Tom Bowser is back!  It was the "Hostname Lookup" security function of the forum.  I'll just keep it turned off and watch closer.

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 07:05:18 PM »
How was it conflicting with him? Old browser? His settings? What?