Author Topic: Cavalla restoration 1997 - today  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Cavalla restoration 1997 - today
« on: August 03, 2008, 10:43:50 PM »
http://www.cavalla.org/restore.html

After all I've seen and heard, I am amazed at the USS Cavalla.  This submarine was in terrible, terrible condition.  With the work of many people she was restored over many years, with work of course ongoing still today.

Look over the link above and see what all has been done.  It's amazing!  Sometime I'd really love to hear the story behind the CONCRETE deck that had to be removed.  CONCRETE!?

BZ to everyone involved, from Neal Stevens of SUBSIM.com to Gil Raynor to John McMichael and all volunteers. 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Cavalla restoration 1997 - today
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 09:56:38 AM »
I'm glad that we're only pulling up wood on the Batfish.  What a mess that concrete made.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:58:49 AM »
Yea, the numbskull who thought pouring a four-in. thick layer of concrete right over the original wood planks was the way to go should be shot! :knuppel2:  The pop-riveted thin-gage sheet metal pulled down over the rotting superstructure to hide the mess was also tragic. But that is in the past. Thanks to the crew today, she has a new lease on life. BZ!

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 02:34:47 PM »
I got to talk to one of her WWII crewmembers who was on her when htey sunk the big Japanese carrier (name eludes me at the moment) and he said that now, he does not even recognize the boat from all the modifications, but he did say he found the exact spot where he kept all his stuff, and slept still in original condition, so he was pretty happy.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."