Author Topic: Arriving onboard  (Read 9438 times)

Offline nomad66

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
    • View Profile
Arriving onboard
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:44:02 PM »
Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I have been interested in subs for many years after reading the book, Pig Boats. I have toured the German sub in Chicago, the USS Croaker when it was still in Groton,CT, the USS Silversides in Muskegon,MI, the USS Batfish in Muskogee,OK, and the USS Nautillus in Groton, CT. My son was on the nuclear fast attack sub, USS Montpelier. I also got a chance to spend nearly an hour on the Los Angeles class training simulator at the Groton Sub base. I couldn't believe how fast that thing could maneuver.

Scott

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Arriving onboard
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 01:03:23 PM »
Scott also take great photographs!  Welcome to the forum.  It's good to have someone here who has visited so many of the museum subs.

How long ago was your visit to the U-505?

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »
Welcome on board! You lucky yo get to see so many different subs. I too want to go see more of them.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:26:54 PM »
Welcome aboard, Scott.  Some day, make the trip to Baltimore and see the USS Torsk (SS-423).

Offline nomad66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:20:42 PM »
Scott also take great photographs!  Welcome to the forum.  It's good to have someone here who has visited so many of the museum subs.

How long ago was your visit to the U-505?

Lance,

I'ts been a long time. It was probably in the late 70's or early 80's.

Offline nomad66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 08:26:45 PM »
Welcome aboard, Scott.  Some day, make the trip to Baltimore and see the USS Torsk (SS-423).

Thanks for the welcome. I have been to Baltimore, but I'm not sure the Torsk was there then.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 12:49:30 PM »
Torsk has been there since '71 early '72, while it has been maintained over the years by various groups the current Volunteer Association has been with her 10 years now and they have done one HELL of a job bringing her back to life and getting the correct parts to replace the ones stolen, striped, missing or broken. In the 4 years that I have been with her every time I walk onboard her decks it is something new that works now or something else has been restored and working or close to working for the first time in many many moons. Radio is one of those places that they have worked their collective arses off over the years getting the right radios and getting the correct voltages to power the radio's again and then tracing hand over hand ALL of the coax cabling to make sure that the right connection goes to the right radio, most of the Radio Room now works like it is supposed to or will very shortly.

Darrin

Offline nancy

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 03:30:10 PM »
Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I have been interested in subs for many years after reading the book, Pig Boats. I have toured the German sub in Chicago, the USS Croaker when it was still in Groton,CT, the USS Silversides in Muskegon,MI, the USS Batfish in Muskogee,OK, and the USS Nautillus in Groton, CT. My son was on the nuclear fast attack sub, USS Montpelier. I also got a chance to spend nearly an hour on the Los Angeles class training simulator at the Groton Sub base. I couldn't believe how fast that thing could maneuver.

Scott

In the Midwest, highly reccommend USS COD, Cleveland. Check out the web site  www.usscod.org