Author Topic: I would like to introduce Hairball  (Read 14886 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
I would like to introduce Hairball
« on: September 18, 2008, 11:23:19 PM »
First and formost folks while he is not qualified on the Balao class or any other class he is an enthusisast that would make Lance green with envy with his knowledge :)  He worked on his cyber "qualls" on submarinesailor before work took him away from that.... and MOST of his qual card has the coveted sig's on it and right now I am not doing a cyber qual card unless ALL you would like me too and yes Arron I will finish signing your qual card off as we go so you can finish your 2+ year expidition in getting your cyber dolphins....

Next be forewarned that Arron was an AIRDALE who chased submarines out of Newfoundland and across the world in various different positions... He served on Newfi right after my dad left there as an RM3 airdale chasing Submarines and one day I do hope that I can get them both back together on Argentica to see both of their old base together..... even though Hairy works there and has sent me numerous pic's of the old Navy air base I can only hope that I can get him there before it is too late..

Welcome aboard shipmate,

Darrin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: I would like to introduce Hairball
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:04:39 AM »
Well then welcome aboard Arron ("Hairball")!

His account has been activated for a while, just waiting upon his return.

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:34:24 PM »
I guess an airdale isn't as bad as a torpeckerman!  ::)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 01:46:24 PM »
Welcome Hariball - pay no attention to the wantabees.  Everyone wanted those upper bunks in the Forward Torpedo Room - After Battery was crowded and smelly.  :crazy2:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 01:48:11 PM »
Just remember Chief with out us TM's there was ZERO need for you nookie poo folks :2funny:  BTW remember you volunteered to help me with the FER restoration project and it is DIRTY down there :knuppel2:
Just remember who loves ya   ;)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 03:11:40 PM »
That is so true - without us Weapons guys - all you would have is a big Disney World ride!

Our weapons run hot, straight, and normal
No target is safe while we lurk under the foamy sea,

Powered by battery, or water so hot,
Diesel or nuc makes no matter, weapons keep us free.
-----

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 04:22:14 PM »
"Our weapons run hot, straight, and normal
No target is safe while we lurk under the foamy sea,

Powered by battery, or water so hot,
Diesel or nuc makes no matter, weapons keep us free."

AMEN

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 08:47:01 PM »
On my boat, torpeckermen were mainly for show.  The sixteen tubes amidships were what the nukes pushed around.   ;)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 09:43:17 PM »
Just remember Chief, on a REAL boat the TM's were the real reason why a submarine went to sea and on a REAL boat we don't need no stinkin noooks :2funny:  and because of you stinkin nook's I lost a liberty port in THAILAND because they cried to the CO about having to steam the whole 4 day trip :knuppel2:

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 09:55:29 AM »
Big vertical torpedos?
-----

John

Offline Hairball

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »
Good Morning Shipmates! 

Thanks for the intro Darrin!  It's great to be here and I hope I'll be let out of the bilges to see the movie sometime, what is it?  "The Sound of Music,"  a-g-a-i-n???

Anywho, here's my, "Intro."

My name is Hairball and I'm the eternal, Senior, NQP-Dink, Bilge Dwelling Scum-Bag, Limy Rat, so show me some respect!   ;)

As you can tell from my accent, I'm a Limy!  It gets worse.  I live in St. John’s, Newfoundland which is an island in the North Atlantic off the east coast of Canada and thus, due to time endured here, I'm a Newfie.  Note:  Just to give you an insight into what that means, we have salt-fish and Black Rum for breakfast.  It's a small patch of Heaven on earth, take a peek:  http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/

I joined the Royal Air Force in 1962 in the days when Pontius was a Pilotte, not sure what he flew though.  Amongst other things I spent 3 years in South Yemen, I wanted to go to Hong Kong but obviously I had p*ssed someone off in the Orderly Room.

I came to Canada many years ago, was a cop in Toronto (56 Div) amongst other things and now I'm working under contract on a Canadian Navy Base in St. John’s.

I have a passion for diesel boats and rightly believe that the United States Navy Fleet Boats of the Second World War were the best diesel boats EVER made.  And so I began to study them.

For a few years I was completing my Cyber-Qualls on Don Gentry’s board and had the honor of having Warshot (Ron Smith) sign me off on Topside, the first sig on your card.  Sadly Ron has now gone on, “Eternal Patrol.”  He was not only a great submareener, but a good friend. 

I had nearly finished getting signed-off when, for personal and family reasons I was unable to finish, but bear in mind that this was no joke and I was putting in many hours of study and you better have it right!  In that process and learned a great deal not only about the Balao class boat but about the amazing guys who crewed them.

After I had been studying for about a year or two I was invited to become an Associate Life-Member of the USSVI (Escolar Base) and I am very proud of this.

I hope to both contribute and learn while I'm here.  Note:  I've been pinged so often that my back pockets are now made of asbestos!  So don't be shy.

This is written in a hurry as I'm on watch and (supposed to be) working!

Cheers, Hairball.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 05:46:23 PM »
Hey Hairy,
when you are in the bilges see if you can find that movie, we tossed it in there around the time you left Don's bbs so that something would be familiar to you when you came back to finish your quall's ;)  And no that isn't going to be playing on the mess decks tonight, don't quite know yet maybe Paul "Martha" Farace or JT have an idea or for that matter anyone else, I don't mind besides if I don't like it I will just go to my rack and read ???

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 10:16:26 PM »
Does anyone know where the Sound of Music reel is? I'm feeling like a song right now! I hear the sound of... oh hell the tape broke again!

Hairball Darrin is the Qual Master - I will sit back so you chime in with answers to his questions - enjoy sir you will like it here! Kick back with a real bad cup of Joe, light up a Players (I bet you didn't think I knew that one), pour a Pusser's for measure with a dash of diesel, it dont' get better than this.
-----

John

Offline Hairball

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 08:03:26 AM »
I would have loved to have seen the GIGANTIC reel that consisted of ALL the cartoon spliced together!  Boy I miss the Road Runner with all that wholesome violence!   :)  Aaaah, those were the days!

Hairy.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 08:12:56 AM »
Ya never know what you will find in the bilges on the boats Hairy, that one may be in the bilges or in one of the tanks.. Thanks for the complement JT, just doin what TM's used to do on the boat and that was teach the school of the boat ;)