Author Topic: Speaking of Volunteers  (Read 12246 times)

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Speaking of Volunteers
« on: September 20, 2008, 08:18:10 PM »
I would just like for all the boat museums to know that you should be blessed to have a volunteer crew like Torsk.  I have worked aboard Torsk for about ten years now, and with few exceptions, we have had the same people show up year after year with little or no praise, certainly no pay, and make unbelievable improvements in the appearance, operational condition, and preservation of this old gal.  Torsk has a local hard working crew of about 16 people who show up week after week and do the routine preservation, preventative maintenance, and system and space restoration.  Then, we have a remote crew that travels from all over the country to help us out two or more times a year.  They make huge progress in compartment restoration, equipment and system restoration, and routine maintenance.  Their help is invaluable.  Torsk has gone from a floating tube in which the lights in most places didn't work to a boat that looks and is beginning to work like a submarine preparing to get under way for patrol.  We still have a long way to go, but, with a crew as awesome as Torsk's, she'll be the best of the museum fleet in no time.  Sorry, Paul, but you are about to be surpassed!  Sorry guys, but there is no boat with a crew that can compare to that of Torsk.

We look forward to the arrival of our remote crewmembers in two weeks.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking of Volunteers
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 03:08:37 AM »
Did I hear a gauntlet being thrown down?  :knuppel2:

Competition will not kill anyone, but in fact will improve the boats!

Bring it on skippy!!!!  Bring IT ON!!!!!

:laugh:

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 03:43:15 PM »
I will have to differ with you.   First of all I want to remind you all that most of you only have a boat to take cae of were we have an 8.81 acre park and a museum to take care of as well.   (it does not take much to mow water).  We are inland and do not have the same resources that many of you have to draw on (Razorback and Marlin being the exception)   Coupled that with the probress that his boat has made in the past 5 years and I can say with full confidence that the Batfish has the best relief crew around.   Keep you eyes open boys.  There are big things comming in the next few years.        ;D

Rick

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:39:50 PM »
Granted nobody ever tried to mow water (sober)... but than again, you've never had to deal the smell of 5-acres of dead Gizzard Shad floating on the water in 80-deg heat for weeks on end!    :o

BTW: My wharf rats (well fed on a summer's worth of pop cans and food wrappers) are wearing tiny little leather jackets with "Kick Torsk Ass" embroidered on the backs!  And they're flashing Crip-style hand signals that say "Bring it on Batfish Beeeches!"

:crazy2:

Crip Cod Master Paul

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 09:14:41 PM »
Not a brag, Paul, a fact.  Torsk will be the best.  She will look good and her equipment will be operating, and we do have the best crew, hands down!

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 12:12:03 PM »
Kidding aside (well, in fact the wharf rats do have a gang here at COD!)... I my 32 years in this game, I have seen subs rise and submerge (pun intended)... time was SILVERSIDES was top of the heap with her engines running after lots of TLC, etc. Now she is in trouble, in need of a drydock and may other boats that were Subvet clubhouses are now very respectable memorials. REQUIN was in shambles when she left Florida and is/was last time I saw her, in far better shape... as is TORSK... COD has come way up in the ranks too. But who knows what will happen in 10 years or 20?  One or two key people getting sick (Russ Booth, the dean of all Sub Managers died suddenly in 1997 at age 50) -- The only thing certain is change.

I don't mean to get philosophical on your behind, but I think we all know that is true.

What does matter is a good crew, and by the sound of it, TORSK's crew would make any bunch of Scurvey Dogs sailing under the Jolly Roger envious!

Paul

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »
Granted nobody ever tried to mow water (sober)... but than again, you've never had to deal the smell of 5-acres of dead Gizzard Shad floating on the water in 80-deg heat for weeks on end!    :o

BTW: My wharf rats (well fed on a summer's worth of pop cans and food wrappers) are wearing tiny little leather jackets with "Kick Torsk Ass" embroidered on the backs!  And they're flashing Crip-style hand signals that say "Bring it on Batfish Beeeches!"

:crazy2:

Crip Cod Master Paul

Well the Batfish Bloods are gonna wipe the floor with you ground poundin' wanna be submariners!
USS Batfish. Muskogee, OK SOUTH CENTRAL PUC CUZ BLOOD! HOLLA FOOL!

(Good God I still remember all that. Note to everyone: Muskogee High is the place to learn gang signs, not Submarine History.  ;D
Too bad we are stuck as the Bloods. That leaves MS13 and the Mafia up for grabs. Lets make this a real turf war. :2funny:)
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 05:56:57 PM »
The Torsk "BANDITs" over the years have earned that nick name more then a few times and there have been museums and other agencies SCARED to even hear that we were in the area :2funny: 
Our crew bar none is one of if not the best crew on the water front and for those no longer in the water... Batfish, you guys are doing a great job BTW keep up the work it sounds like you may have a great crew on your hands also and you can ask the folks on the Torsk I DO check on the musuem boats before I even think of becoming a vol with them and before you ask BATFISH the answer is NO I am not going to come and play with you (price of gas is way tooooo damned expensive) that and you all are too far away from me in Va.
One day the name of who's boat is the best in the fleet will change and hopefully it will change quite often as everyone gets back online and can rally the support of their communities and their local sub vets.
Good luck all and let the games begin

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 10:01:57 PM »
Why not hope that one day ALL boats will be judged as the best example of our profession?

Wharf rats with vests?  Paul have you  been to Key West? Hum! Big damn rats down there....
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 08:17:42 AM »
"Why not hope that one day ALL boats will be judged as the best example of our profession?

Wharf rats with vests?  Paul have you  been to Key West? Hum! Big damn rats down there...."

JT one day I hope ALL of our boats are going to be the best example in our profession, gonna take time and a lot of work and money so lets hope that we can get the other boats to come online like some of our other bretheren have..

BTW Paul, JT asked a great question about your rats... either you got them with vest's from San Franfreaksco or did you steal them from the Blue Oyster (of the police academy fame??)  Just pinging you and not worried about it nor is it a serious question ;)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 11:18:36 PM »
The rats were here first...

Now I only started worrying when I saw the San Francisco rats with the leather vests AND the LEATHER CHAPS!!  Sorta like vermin village people!

:uglystupid2:

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 08:14:37 AM »
SF Rats have spiked Pink fur and also wear studded colars. Bigs ones hang out on Fisherman's Wharf, Castro District and Golden Gate Park.  I can tell stories about that city - worked downtown for 20 years!  However they have the best Crabs found anywhere!
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 08:45:06 AM »
Rats with leather jackets and chaps :2funny:

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 01:36:41 PM »
I lived in Live no more......

I mean Livermore CA.  Had lots of opertunities to people watch at the people at Height and Ashbury      Just one word there  WOW.....    :uglystupid2:

I will see all your Warf rats and rais you a heard of goffers.  Let's get ready to rumblllllllle......... :knuppel2:

Honestly.  The competition between boats is good.  Just like the competition I get out here between the branches of service.   But, when the day is done we always remember that we are all in this boat together.   I think there are oppertunities to help each other out were we can.   All of the boats tell a story.  They are better when they the the whole story of the sub service.

Rick

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 11:34:06 PM »
OK Rick, enough of the diplomatic niceties... next we'll all be sitting around a campfire singing KumBaYa!   :laugh:

I am gonna raise your gophers with a pack of Coyoties!!! COD may be on downtown Cleveland's lakefront, but our airport neighbors report several families of Coyotes!  Oh and some very nervious rabid Rabbits (I think they're addicted to crack!)...

We also have seen several Raccoons on deck at night!!! and you know they all have rabies (or is it rabbis -- they might be jewish!)...

How's that for tough wildlife on subs!

:uglystupid2: