Author Topic: Any questions for WWII Subvets?  (Read 20203 times)

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Any questions for WWII Subvets?
« on: March 12, 2008, 03:30:37 PM »
 I am going to my local subvet meeting tonight, and was wondering if anyone had any questions they wanted me to ask some WWII Subvets. I will ask to record with my video camera so everyone can see the "interview" so if you have any questions just post them here.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 04:01:51 PM by Travis McLain (was: SS 310) »
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Any questions for WWII Subvets?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 04:06:35 PM »
You don't need to tape this particular questions but I was wondering if they could describe the color green that they painted the interior of the boats with.  Maybe compare it to something that we would relate to like Imodium medicine, anodized aircraft metal, etc.  Few museum boats seem to have retained their original interior paint job.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 05:54:04 PM »
Dear Travis:

I have been on a journey for a few years now seeking something that would show just what a fleet boat's "shopping list" or combat loadout would be before setting out on patrol? What kinds of meat and how much of each? How much flour, sugar, potatoes and even toilet paper?

And Mark, back in 1984, myself and my teammates on the Silversides volunteer crew at the time researched the question of the interior paint and interviewed a number of former crewmembers who remembered the interior as being white. This was especially true in the control room close to the deck, below installations such as the trim manifold, diving stand, main vent control manifold and the high-pressure air manifold, where any leaks of hydraulic fluid would be easily seen on the white paint. Remember, I am not talking about the green linoleum deck, just the areas close to the hull. The Silversides' interior is white to this day.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 06:14:11 PM »
Ok guys I will do my best. Something I was doing was researching on the USSVI page was what boats they were on and one of them was on the U.S.S. Dolphin or V-7 heres some info on her: http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08169.htm

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:43:35 AM »
And Mark, back in 1984, myself and my teammates on the Silversides volunteer crew at the time researched the question of the interior paint and interviewed a number of former crewmembers who remembered the interior as being white. This was especially true in the control room close to the deck, below installations such as the trim manifold, diving stand, main vent control manifold and the high-pressure air manifold, where any leaks of hydraulic fluid would be easily seen on the white paint. Remember, I am not talking about the green linoleum deck, just the areas close to the hull. The Silversides' interior is white to this day.

Thanks, Fred.  I was watching Destination Tokyo last night and even though the film is b&w, the boat that they used for the film looked very white inside to me.  Granted, some of it looked like it was a reproduction in a studio, but I'm sure that they faithfully recreated the interior of the boat that the Navy let them film with.  Off topic, I thought that this was one of the better sub movies from the '40's and '50's.

So, my next question is where did all of this talk of green paint come from?  I have heard it mentioned by several people on the SubSim forum and I think one of the museum boats currently has a green interior.  I can't remember if I asked one of the vets that helps out at the Batfish or what his response was.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:28:58 AM »
Hi Mark! I believe talk of green paint and the practice of using it may be a spillover (no pun intended) from reserve days. I think there was a period where the Navy painted all ship interiors what I've heard called "puke green." I believe Ling's interior may be painted with it as are other museum boats. I believe Silversides' interior was painted that in the early years. Then around 1979-83, it was painted "ivory" (a light yellow) because that's what Rust-Oleum donated. And then we did he research and painted it white. The shined brass and bronze really stands out from a white background.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:04:43 AM »
Stripping paint from brass and polishing it is on the long list of to-do's for Batfish.

Personally, I like the white paint.  The puke green would feel like I'm in an old bathroom or hospital ward.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 02:00:07 PM »
The inside of the Drum is a Seafoam Green color.  It gave me the idea of the sickly blue/green color for the logo here.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 02:11:11 PM »
Well, there were no WWII subvets at the meeting last night, but alot of guys who had trained onboard the diesels. However they still did not know the answer to the questions you presented. One of the guys that was there was a  ret. Lt. Cmdr who was on the SIlversides in the post war years, and had pictures of him visiting the Silversides, that was really cool. The head guy said he was going to give me some videos of a WWII subvet who passed away three years ago, and he was a survivor of the U.S.S. Tang, I can't wait to see that video of him, the subvets are in the same predicament of trying to transfer that video from VHS to DVD they say they have the dvd vhs combo that allows you to do it but it never works right for them.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 04:10:33 PM »
A Tang survivor?  How great that is!  I bet he had some stories.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 04:42:04 PM »
Yes, I bet he did.

Offline K0EFV

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 08:43:35 PM »
Travis
I would dearly love to know  the name of the Tang survivor.
K0EFV Tom USMC
Tom USMC

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 09:58:13 PM »
The Tang survivor's first name is Clayton Decker I believe. The SUbVets said he passed away three years ago.

Offline K0EFV

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 08:24:48 AM »
Lance:
Great thanks a lot.  I met Clay and his wife Ann some years ago and corresponded with them many times on the phone until his passing.  Clay was not much on B.S. but he told me many stories including his final good bye to his closest buddy who elected to stay with the sub.  As you may know as a POW, he was rhe cell mate of Greg Pappy Boyington.  Clay gave me a book he published, which I loaned out and never got it back.  I will see if I can find a replacement.  Most of all I recall some of his descriptions of the final hours of the Tang.  I also feel that I got to know the real Boyington by way of Clay.  They were life long friends and clay described his final visit with Greg while he was in the hospital.  I wish now I would have had the presence of mind to record him, but I thiought he would be with me forever.  I have several phoitos of Clay and Ann if your interested.  Here is some history on the Tang, Earlier in the war Wheeler Lipes A corpsman on the Sea Dragon SS194 performed an emergency appendectomy on a fellow crewman while the sub was submerged. using galley utinsels among other things. This was the very first and I understand one or two others did happen later on other subs.  Some Navy brass even wanted to court marshall Lipes.  A year ago or so the boys in Washington finally decided to invite him up for a special long overdue recognition award.  Wheeler was in very bad health at the time and was unable to go and receive the award personally.   He has since passed away.  NOW THE REST OF THE STORY The crewman whose life  Lipes saved was eventually transferred to the Tang and lost when she went down.  Clay knew him but was not real close.  My only contact with Lipes was an email that I sent him with some old photos etc. but never met him personally.  I hope I have not bored you with all this.

K0EFV Tom USMC
Tom USMC

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »
That is a great story KOEFV, I would be interested in those photos, my email is: pbgat@comcast.net 
When the SubVets finally get the interview with Clay on DVD I will see if they can put it on youtube so you can see it.