Author Topic: BWM Press Release  (Read 18756 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
BWM Press Release
« on: September 26, 2008, 08:19:27 AM »
Here's the latest regarding our upoming October Work Week.  Please, pass the information along if able.
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: BWM Press Release
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:35:06 AM »
Bradley - very nice.  Any problem with me posting this on the website?  I'm sure it's OK...but I always ask when it's not my work.

Oh...I really like your graphic on top.  Nice.

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:51:10 AM »
Nice.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:10:54 AM »
Very impressive Bradley.

I'd like to learn more about the "cradle" that was mentioned.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 12:16:58 PM »
Similiar to how Drum is set up...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 02:48:40 PM »
I am going to make the Exec decision here.   Go ahead and post this MarkA.  We need everyone to see this. 

Thanks for your help Bradley.   It sure helps having someone with a linguistic flair to help out on this type of thing.

Rick

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 03:41:23 PM »
Similiar to how Drum is set up...

Cool!  Sometime I'd like to figure out just what all the subs are sitting on.  I know that Cavalla, Batfish, Drum, Marlin, and Albacore are on land.  From what I've seen, the Drum and the Marlin are the only ones up off the ground.  It appears the Albacore and Cavalla are in some type of berth but maybe have some type of supports...I'm just unsure.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:11:09 PM »
Would I be able to send this report/ story into the OSU newspaper?
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 02:50:24 PM »
apparently so...download the PDF and email it to them.

I'll be posting it on the website tonight.

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »
This is a very nice job! My only concern, as someone who writes for a living, is the line about how volunteers including 40 Sea Cadets, "will begin efforts to save the Batfish." That, to me, makes it sound like Batfish is in trouble and in danger of destruction. That has never been my understanding of Batfish's status, especially given the efforts in recent years of Rick, Marks Allen and Sarsfield, et al. Truly, Batfish, like all museum boats needs a little TLC and that's what this effort will provide. My thanks to all involved!

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 04:06:16 PM »
"will begin efforts to save the Batfish." That, to me, makes it sound like Batfish is in trouble and in danger of destruction.

It also makes it sound like nothing has been done in the past.  "Continue" would be a better choice.

Regardless, I'm pumped for the 18th and am looking forward to seeing all the workers out.  I am hoping that Bradley is there.  I've never met him and really want to pick his brain a bit to see what his thoughts are.

Good job to all!

Mark

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 09:50:08 PM »
Sorry guys, I'm just now finding this post.  I'm still learning how to navigate around.

YES - please pass the release on to, well... E V E R Y O N E!

As for the use of the line "save the Batfish" let me say this now...

Coming from the outside and not having the long history with the boat I am able to see what may not be as visible to those who may be more engrossed with her.  Make no mistake - the Batfish is dying.

Take a real good look at her.  Her interior is one thing (although is too is riddled with need) - but her superstructure is another.  If you've been working on her decks than you would have noticed that her hull is coming apart.  The bow has sheets of rust coming off and the torpedo doors and bays - geesh.  Areas that were once strong steel are now paper thin and brittle.  For example there is NO WAY her current torpedo loading platforms could be used.  If I were to sit my big butt on any of them they would collapse - let alone the weight of a torpedo.  Loading the new torpedos through the exterior tube doors appears to be the working sollution but man what a challenge!

She is a fire trap (as there is no fire supression system onboard) and her electrical system is the biggest risk for fire more than any other factor.  According to standard fire codes, she shouldn't allow visitors.  Furthermore, she is encrusted (that's a good word) with lead based paint that is falling off in millions of flakes.  Her name is almost unreadable.  She once sat on a shield to protect her from the ground, but has refloated TWICE in her stay there making the shield a moot point as sediments would have filled in the void left before she resetlled - at a list I might add.  She is close to the water table and lord knows what her underside looks like.  From the inside she may appear fine (as far as her lower hull) but when she is inspected for placing her on a cradle, I am very fearful of what we will find.

Work to repair and or restore the above problems like fire suppression and electrical can be done in a way that will still preserve the boat.  But if she burns then all bets are off.  She isn't a seagoing vessel anymore so the changes I am proposing can be accomplished with little to no impact on her integrity and history.

Lastly, she is an obscure relic that only a handfull are even aware of (10,000 guests a year is a handfull - when other like museums see over 100,000 or more per year) and she is hardly known by those living in Oklahoma.  In fact, she was completely left out of the new tourism guide this year.  How did that happen?

This is just a fraction of what all is going on.  She IS NOT and HAS NOT belonged to a specific group nor is she or her museum facility just a big 'club house'.  But her history is plagued with such use and in some cases neglect.  I am not saying that there hasn't been thousands of volunteer hours and monies spent, but in her 35+ year history those efforts are only a small percentage of her story and needs.  If things were to continue in this pattern based on the past 35+ years, in ten or at most twenty years from now, she would be condemned.

This is how I see her and why I think using language like SAVE the Batfish is important.  I'm looking at the BIG PICTURE.  Her fate rests in those who are committed to her NOW - not yester year.  In the past few years a slew of committed volunteers have swarm to her defense.  But what happens when five years pass?  Will those same dedicated volunteers be able to do as much then too?  What about five years ago?  If we are to make a mark and at least preserve her for another 50 years, we have to do some serious work why we have the man power and synergy to do so.  She and the overall Memorial park can become something greater than they are and her story - her legacy - and those she represents will be remembered by untold thousands for decades to come.

If I offended any of you with my comments, I apologize, as it was not my intent.  But I am very passionate about keeping her around and have been dedicating a lot of effort toward her and the Memorial.  Thanks for allowing me a moment on my soapbox.
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 10:21:46 PM »
Yo Shipwreck, in case you don't know my story, I'm probably the greenest guy here.  Not even a year ago I got to see a submarine for the first time in my life.  It was the USS Drum, and thanks to Tom Bowser I learned a lot that day.

It wasn't all good.  Take a look at this photo of the Drum:

Once Tom got me interested, I learned that nearly ALL submarine museums are short on funds, volunteers, and visitors these days.  I asked Tom if it would be helpful to have a place where submarine museum people could interact, and here we are!  I figured there must be more clueless people out there like I was.

I'm embarrassed to say that only two years ago I had no idea that WWII era submarines still existed today as museums.  And my grandfather was a WWII submarine veteran!

What I'm trying to say is, the more I learn about the various submarine museums, they are nearly all in the same boat (ha ha).  Something has happened along the way, and something needs to be done.

I believe that if more people discover these submarine museums, more help and more money will come.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
Coming from the outside and not having the long history with the boat I am able to see what may not be as visible to those who may be more engrossed with her.

Well, IMHO, I'd like to see more people engrossed with her than on the outside.

Her fate rests in those who are committed to her NOW - not yester year.

I agree and disagree.  Yes her fate rests with the present and future, but with out those in the past that had the forethought to save the sub in the first place...we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it.  As you've already done, you've seen what has happened in the past and are now working on ways not to repeat it.  I for one applaud your effort and will do anything I can to help you.

In fact, she was completely left out of the new tourism guide this year.  How did that happen?

From stats I've been sending you...I'm getting several hundred hits per week...world wide.  Type USS Batfish in any browser and my site will be the first one up.  It's been on the net 10 years now and currently is the best "free" advertisement we have.  That is why I tell Rick to promote it.

we have to do some serious work why we have the man power and synergy to do so.

I totally agree with this.  However, I try and try to get workers out for a work day...only to get no answer or the "I can't make it" answer.  If we could coordinate a day between the Relief Crew, the HAMS and the Re-eactors...we'd have the deck off in a weekend.  That is why I'm excited about the sea cadets.  

And please...no corporate buzz words   >:(  I get too much of that at work   ;D  (i.e. synergy...which I have no idea what it means).

No worries on my end with any of this.  It's all good discussion for the good of the boat.

The best for the Batfish is still ahead.

Mark

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 11:59:58 PM »
Synergy means cohesion, working together, etc, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synergy#Human_synergy

http://www.answers.com/topic/synergy

On topic, I think it's a great write up. I really like how it is worded, bought up etc. I'll be sending it out in emails.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin