Author Topic: BWM Press Release  (Read 17380 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: BWM Press Release
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 12:39:23 AM »
John - I'm sorry my sarcasm was lost on you.   :coolsmiley:  Being in the corporate world for too many years, I was well aware of what it meant.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 12:59:23 AM »
Well, IMHO, I'd like to see more people engrossed with her than on the outside.

I agree and disagree.  Yes her fate rests with the present and future, but with out those in the past that had the forethought to save the sub in the first place...we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it.  As you've already done, you've seen what has happened in the past and are now working on ways not to repeat it.  I for one applaud your effort and will do anything I can to help you.

Ahh, but this is the problem that folks keep missing - Yes it is important that those of the past saved her, but that is part of her STORY and not her SURVIVAL.  Passion and love and understanding and all that DOES NOT pay the bills of the Memorial, Physically restore the boat, install new decking, etc etc tc.

The problem with the past is that we keep looking there instead of focusing on the future of the Batfish War Memorial.  The past is what we will read about in the museum and see in the videos and experience through engaging exhibits, etc, etc etc.

To throw one of my own phrases out there - If you want to keep getting what you're getting, keep doing what you are doing.

For the first time in decades, there is a common goal right now and the right people are coming together at the right time and with the right mind set and the right tools.  If we don't act and be consistant about it, then the Batfish is doomed because we are acting at a time when she MUST be taken care of NOW because later she will be too far gone.

I also agree with your earlier post regarding volunteers.  I mentioned this in another post on the board.  No matter what nonprofit you are associated with - you will NEVER have the perfect compliment of Volunteers, Staff, and Completed Tasks.  We work those we get and always recruit more.  What DOES help is when folks see enough happening on a consistant level.  When they see it - they believe it - they support it.  Stop the efforts and the whole thing grinds to a halt - so too the support.  It is A LOT of work operating a museum and will be even more for THIS particular museum (not to say that others aren't having their fair share too).
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 02:45:36 AM »
John - I'm sorry my sarcasm was lost on you.   :coolsmiley:  Being in the corporate world for too many years, I was well aware of what it meant.

It was hard to tell. I have seen a lot of people who didn't know words alot more common than synergy. I mean look at You Tube comments and you'll see what I have to deal with on a daily basis. <sigh> Instead of history classes maybe we should start with spelling.
CAT....C-A-T.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 08:08:13 AM »
Ahh, but this is the problem that folks keep missing - Yes it is important that those of the past saved her, but that is part of her STORY and not her SURVIVAL.  Passion and love and understanding and all that DOES NOT pay the bills of the Memorial, Physically restore the boat, install new decking, etc etc tc.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because although I see your point, I can't see how you can separate the past from the present (or future).  Keeping the boat afloat is also part of her story too, just a different chapter.

I think "passion and love and understanding" does help pay the bills.  Without any of that from the beginning up until now, there would be no memorial.  There would be no one to come out and pull the deck, or re-enact, or raise money for it, or....etc.  Look at your own passion.  Your passion is helping pay the bills.  Correy's passion is helping pay the bills.  You guys are raising money to keep the doors open so the relief crew can come out and apply our passion.

Yes, we need to focus on survival, but not to the point we forget about the past.  After all, the past is what we remember the ship and the crew for.  Right?  Or am I missing the whole point here.  Ask yourself "why am I interested in the Batfish?"  Is it for the pat on the back for raising money?  Is it because you like to re-enact?  Is it because you want fame and recognition?  I know people like that.  A few unnamed people in the past would come out only when a reporter was there...or when Channel 6 showed up.  Otherwise you never saw them.

To answer that question for myself, I do it out of respect for the crew and the sub...plus I do it so that people won't forget our past.  I push the website not for my own glory, but because it's FREE advertising for the sub and museum.  Have you looked at the stats I've been sending?  A lot of people from all over the world are visting the website which, and from emails I get, is generating foot traffic.  Everyone and everything is working together for the good of the boat.

I see your point...I really do.  But all I ask is that you be considerate of others with a different view point.  I am concerned about the future of the boat, but I am also enthralled about it's history.  I have a hard time separating the two...

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 11:25:24 PM »
Mark,

First, by no means was I intending to be insulting or poo poo on the passion.  But I'm a realist and know that you can love something all the way to the umpteenth, but in the end, in our case we have to get physicaly involved.  Love doesn't paint the boat, although it can help give reason to do so.  Her past story - especially her harrowing journey up the Arkansas River certainly need to be remembered and shared, as they will bring awareness to the cause, but the cause has to have an effect - raising dollars to pay for the needs.

This is what I am meaning with my earlier post.  I want to raise the money as that is what will make the physical repairs and changes so needed.  Yes, i want to remember everything else and her amazing story and crew(s) and all those who never returned.  But if we can't physically repair the boat - all that will be left is memories.

Now perhaps in my earlier email it may have seemd that I didn't put as much importance on the volunteer acts and her story,etc - but I really do care for these important pieces.  They are what make up the whole and we AS A TEAM make up her caretakers.  We will have to draw on every resource to make it happen.  I just wanted people to know that they can 'care' but they also have to 'act'.

Also, just for the record, I want no pats on the back, awards, or other recognition.  I do this because I believe it to be my civic duty and my own personal way to 'ne obliviscaris' - Never Forget (Our BLHA motto) 
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 11:40:29 PM »
Right on Bradley.

No insult taken...just discussing the issue.  I guess being the Batfish historian, I tend to focus on history more than the other, although it's always on my mind as we are working on the deck.  But it's like you said we individuals make up the whole.  I guess we compliment each other...I look to the past (history) and you look towards the future (salvation).  It's all good.  Personally I'm glad you are doing it as no one else other than Rick has shown an interest.  And again, if I can assist with anything, please let me know.

I liked your statement about caring AND acting.  I'd like to point out right here that even though we are in the middle of the deck project...don't feel obligated to do that...come on out anyway, there is grounds work, cleaning, and a ton of other things you can do.  For those who read this and can't come...pony up some cash to help paint the boat.  Yeah, but since others are putting in shameless plugs...thought I would too   :)

Also, just for the record, I want no pats on the back, awards, or other recognition

Not even another BZ?   :D ;) ;D

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 11:42:01 PM »
Now the BZ's I don't mind....   :2funny:
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 08:36:14 AM »
...For those who read this and can't come...pony up some cash to help paint the boat.  ...

Mark, do you guys have a tax-deductible donation fund set up somewhere yet?  So far, I know of only 2 sub museums that are using their local USSVI base as a way to accept monetary donations.  The USS Drum through the Mobile Bay Base and the USS Croaker through the Buffalo Base.  I don't know how difficult it was to set up these accounts, but if your local USSVI base is looking for a project this would be a great one.

Of course, you may have a way to make tax-deductible donations straight to the Batfish already, as you guys have an advantage in this department already.  You don't have a big ass destroyer or battleship or aircraft carrier that sucks up all the donated money before it gets to the submarine.  :)

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 08:56:31 AM »
Mark, do you guys have a tax-deductible donation fund set up somewhere yet?

I believe so, the Batfish Foundation was set up for that purpose.

Maybe Rick can clarify and give more details.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »
Rick said that they can handle the donations, but what happens is they get this big pot of money and then they get bogged down in beauracracy as to what to do with the money.  There's a large sum sitting in their pot right now that is tied up.

He's said it's better if say a company comes in and offers to donate materials and labor rather than someone donating the money and then trying to get the board to approve the money for a given contractor to perform the work.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 01:03:21 PM »
Rick said that they can handle the donations, but what happens is they get this big pot of money and then they get bogged down in beauracracy as to what to do with the money.  There's a large sum sitting in their pot right now that is tied up.

He's said it's better if say a company comes in and offers to donate materials and labor rather than someone donating the money and then trying to get the board to approve the money for a given contractor to perform the work.

This is EXACTLY why those USSVI bases set up their funds for those submarines.  The Mobile Bay Base hands the money sent to them directly to Tom Bowser.  Of course he keeps everyone updated on what the money is being used for.  Imagine if there was a fund set up where the money was delivered straight to Rick?

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 04:52:48 PM »
This is a long storey that goes back before I was here.  I will not go into details online.

Rick