Author Topic: Mk 18 Torpedoes  (Read 12713 times)

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
Mk 18 Torpedoes
« on: September 29, 2008, 09:22:11 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of blueprints for Mk. 18 torpedoes. I need all of the dimensions. I have a technology school lined up that's willing to build replica sheet metal torpedoes for class practice...and they'll be free and weigh less than 500 lbs.

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Mk 18 Torpedoes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 09:27:21 PM »
I might have something...let me look
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:40:36 AM »
Correy, found nothing in any of my books right away...I did find this:

http://hnsa.org/doc/torpedomk18/index.htm

I didn't look all the way through it...but thought it might be a good starting point.  I think page 2 (Figure 1-1: Assembly) might be what you are looking for.

Mark A.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:42:25 AM by MWALLEN »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 10:07:55 AM »
Mark,

This helps and is actually a book I'm going to copy. If anyone else has anything, by all means send it to me. I need as much information as I can get. Also, any infor on previous and subsequent torpedoes would be appreciated as well. I'd like to make several different versions to display the subtle outer differences of each. These would be excellent teaching aids for any other museums out there needing or wanting more torpedoes to fill out their boat.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 11:52:48 AM »
Goog luck!  I am not sure anyone outside of Hollyweird has attempted to build mock torpedoes!  I think that with base closures and such, we might see more fish become available to us subs that should have them, instead of rusting away slowly in some park...

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 01:30:18 PM »
My reasoning is that instead of putting an original outside to rust and corrode, we could put replicas out to take the weather beating. This would free up any torpedoes outside of the museums and allow them to be placed inside the boats for display. Also, it allows for a cutaway to be built without destroying an original torpedo. If these can be produced efficiently and cost effectively, one could conceivably stock a torpedo room to full capacity for little cost and a LOT less weight. I've also been working on "torpedo caps" that consist of just the last 4 feet of the torpedo. These would allow the torpedo tubes to look "loaded", again without having to procure 10 torpedoes.

One last benefit is the educational side. I would like to be able to use one of the replica torpedoes to perform loading demonstrations for the public and school kids. This would enable them to actually see what went into loading a torpedo without actually having to move around a 3000 lb beast.

My goal is to keep each one under 100 lbs. This eliminates part of the possibility of being crushed by one if something goes wrong.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 01:59:05 PM »
My thoughts, too.  Keep them as light as possible, so that if there is a handling mishap, the damage is a lot less severe to persons and property.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 05:23:17 PM »
I mean, come on. How many times do you get to see a torpedo crew load a tube in front of your eyes? :D

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 01:09:40 AM »
Actually, having done this evolution, it is not that difficult (when the afterbody is properly aligned with the midbody!!!) even when the fish weighs about 2,000 lb (minus explosives, etc)... they move rather nicely and the sub builders built in lots of safety features to keep the fish on the trays!

Paul

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 07:00:33 AM »
Hmmm. This may be food for thought.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 08:40:39 AM »
The biggest thing behind loading weapons is make sure that the whole tube has been cleaned and that the PMCS has been done on the roller both on the loading skid and in the tube. The length of the weapon is 20' long with a 21" diameter, HOWEVER the forward tubes are 21' long and 21.125 inches in diameter (on a 688) so there is very little room for error when loading these weapons at all. As Elmer Fudd once said "be vewy vewy careful"

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 10:07:37 AM »
I fully plan on PMCSing everything very carefully and thoroughly before we do ANYTHING. The last thing I want to do is either get a fish stuck half way or get anyone hurt. I've got the block and tackle's needed (with enough of a rating that we could almost completely pick up two torpedoes at once) and am working on refabing the pusher bar. This is another reason why I want to use a replica. I can fabricate it with a little more clearance to add some fudge factor.  Since we won't be firing it, we don't have to worry about such a tight fit.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 01:27:46 PM »
Correy,
When you get to PMCS'ing your tubes go to the fleet manual and print parts of the torpedo tubes section out, it will save you a LOT of time and head aches when it comes to loading your weapons (and yes the Balao tubes are 21.125" in diameter also) because it tells you everything that you need to do to being able to tube load them from inspecting them and verifying that they are a minimum of 21.06" in diameter (and 21.00" in diameter with the impulse air flasks charged) to how to adjust your rollers (4) and how to set them up for different weapons because there aparently is just a little .02" diameter differences in the weapons and that does make a difference in tube loading them. Good luck on the load out

Darrin

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »
Yup!  What he said!

Our Mk. 18 tail was about 0.02 in. out of alignment and it showed!   :uglystupid2:

Clean is the word of the day... and read the instruction manual!

PF  :idiot2:

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 02:49:54 PM »
Paul,
IF I remember correctly the rear alignment lug could be adjusted on the weapons and that could be adjusted, by the depot level but I don't think that COD will be shooting it anytime soon so you could get away with the minor adjustment yourself or one of your dedicated vol's (especially if he is a TM)

One more thing to consider when you pmcs your tube(s) it does not tell you to clean the upper alignment guide and knowing the tubes haven't been loaded for many many moons now it would be a good idea to clean it and put a very LIGHT coat of grease in it before you load your weapon of choice and IF you were really bored and wanted to make sure that that rail isn't damaged at all or too corroded you can make a mock up guide and lay on your back on the rolling tray if you have one and go from the breech door to the muzzle door making sure that it goes through without any problems and if you do find a problem with it then a quick job with a fine teeth file will take care of the problem.....

Then make sure that you have someone who knows how to roll the stop bolt while you are in the tube (and after it has been greased) and roll the stop bolt to the load position and then to the lock position and then the fire position, IF possible do that two or three times if you are going to completly tube load the weapon that way you know that there is NO way for this thing to come out unless there is someone there who knows exactly what they are doing. And the preservative that is recommended for the tubes is HEAVY mineral oil and not grease, however with time the heavy mineral oil will thicken and turn a green color (we have that in tube #2 and I have been wondering what kind of grease was used to preserve it and the book shows using mineral oil instead of grease, I should have read that chapter a while ago)