Author Topic: Mk 18 Torpedoes  (Read 12697 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Mk 18 Torpedoes
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 03:17:46 AM »
Thanks!

Will take that into consideration.

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 07:52:45 PM »
I am under the impression that the 18 was built in the 14 body and so should be the same as the 14, I am sure Paul will correct me if I am wrong.

Also the MK27 we restored is gutted (no motor, batteries, etc ) and it still weighs a couple of hundred pounds but is very easy to handle except we don't have the rollars for the 27 and it doesn't work on the other rollars so I am going to have to make new rollars.
Tom

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »
I am not a torpedo expert by any means... I know which end goes into the tube first!  :uglystupid2:
I stored a Mark 44 in my basement for a number of years before we obtained a fantastic storage facility, that is about the limit of my "expertise"  -- but the Mark 18 supposedly uses the same handling gear as other standard fish. The Mark 27 was not ejected by compressed air, like its big brothers. The air bubbles would deafen the sound seeker. Instead it was designed to swim out of the tube under its own power. But to do so water had to be able to flow around the fish and if it were 21 inches, like the tube, that water would not be able to flow around the fish to allow it to move forward... so the Mark 27 is 19 inches in diameter, that two inches is all that was needed. They is why it also has a single propeller... it moved so slowly that torque on the body was not an issue. But the Mk. 27 has to be centered in the tube and the skegs (rails) along the body do this. My guess is that these rails have to hit the rollers... if they don't you have friction.

Paul
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »
Correy,
We are going to have a good discussion in my office tomorrow.   

Rick