Author Topic: Navy confirms sunken sub is USS Grunion (SS-216)  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Navy confirms sunken sub is USS Grunion (SS-216)
« on: October 02, 2008, 02:48:59 PM »
http://www.oneternalpatrol.com/grunion-navy-release.htm

Thanks to our friend Charles Hinman of the Bowfin for putting up this news release!

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
Re: Navy confirms sunken sub is USS Grunion (SS-216)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »
Wow....thats awesome. Makes me wonder how it went down since no Japs had contact up there.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 03:06:55 PM »
My guess is a dive gone bad.  I mean, look back at the Squalus and the failure of its main induction valve.

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:44:33 PM »
This quote moved me and I want to include it on our Museum later...

Former Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz once said, “When I assumed command of the Pacific Fleet on 31 December 1941 our submarines were already operating against the enemy, the only units of the Fleet that could come to grips with the Japanese for months to come.  It was to the Submarine Force that I looked to carry the load until our great industrial activity could produce the weapons we so sorely needed to carry the war to the enemy.  It is to the everlasting honor and glory of our submarine personnel that they never failed us in our days of great peril.” 

That sums up their heroism and role pretty good, I think.

::)
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 10:53:35 AM »
The how and why of GRUNION's loss is debate issue No. 1 here at COD with our NASA scientist skipper and Old Subs, among others... let me say this... the high-def video brings up more questions than it answers!  Theories stand uf for about 10 minutes before some other bit of evidence sinks them!  Lots of clues on the video of the wreckage telling a story that seeming contradicts itself, but only because we can't see the whole story and put the pieces together properly.  My REAAAALLY uneducated guess, from what I hear from the experts, and based on what I guess from other sources:  she sank herself with a torpedo that didn't explode completely or not at all, but that did catastrophic damage.  It sure as hell was NOT a single 3 in. shell hit from the Kano Maru!

Too bad you guys can't be in town next week when it all comes together with the GRUNION family memorial program at COD... we would use the help, and Old Subs is gonna put on an interesting program on the loss of the boat.

Paul
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 01:53:37 PM »
Is the video online so I can see it?
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin