Author Topic: Upcoming additions to this forum  (Read 55054 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Upcoming additions to this forum
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 11:59:32 PM »
Lance, is it possible to reply directly to a particular post and have it come out directly underneath that post. As this site gets more and more posts on it, I am afraid it will get confusing as to whom you are replying to and even with the name, maybe what post from someone you are reply about.
thanks,
Bill

Nope, no way to do that.  You can use the quote function like I did when replying to this, it makes it easier.  :)

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 12:03:15 AM »
 {From Lance} Nope, no way to do that.  You can use the quote function like I did when replying to this, it makes it easier.
Ok, that will work. Should have realized what you were doing. Noticed, I can also put in myself who it is from.Pretty nifty.  Thanks,
Bill
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 12:05:25 AM by Viejo »
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 01:12:26 AM »
Great photo of the Batfish on the Main page!
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 01:16:39 AM »
Great photo of the Batfish on the Main page!

Yeah, but I'd like a better one that shows the entryway into the sub.  I can't find one like I like anywhere on the web that isn't copyrighted.  That was one of the few that wasn't copyrighted.  I wanted to show the Batfish specifically because it's the only one I know of that's just on the ground, not on a pedestal or in the water.  I think that's unique and visitors would find that amazing.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 01:27:57 AM »
I dont have a picture of the entrance specifically, but I have a picture looking towards the bridge-from aft- that shows the walkway past the bridge to the entrance. If you want me to I will post it.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 07:55:02 PM »
3/2/2008 Added a "unique facts" list on the main page.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 08:20:47 PM »
Lance, I noticed under one of the subs you said they spoted the Yamato on a war patrol, well the Batfish spotter the Yamato on her first war patrol with Capt. Merril. However Merril did not want to pursue because he believed he saw a radar mast on the Yamato, and did not want those 18 inch guns to bear down on them. "The morning of January 13 [1944]... The radio shack had received a message from Pacific Command, informing them that the ULTRA code breakers had picked up and translated a message confirming that Yamato...would be passing through Batfish's patrol are" From "In The course Of Duty" By: Don Keith

Patrol Log record from 14 January 1944 and 15 January 1944:
"1746(I) Surfaced and commenced surface patrol. Obtained good navigational fix. Sky was clear, sea slightly choppy, and when moon rose at 2042 visibility was excellent. A perfect night for a submerged periscope attack.
2332(I) SJ contact bearing 130° T, range 25,850 yds. Very large pip. (Ship contact #14.)
2333(I) Manned battle stations and changed course toward target. No apparent change in bearing, although range was closing, so secured SJ radar to avoid detection. Sighted high upperworks and mast of large ship hull down on horizon. From what could be seen the target appeared to be a battleship.
2336(I) Submerged and commenced approach. While diving took one last quick sweep with radar which gave a range of about 21,000 yards. Did not attempt to use radar again.
2342(I) Picked up heavy screws on JP-1 at about 18,000 yards.
2348(I) Periscope bearing indicated a radical change of course to the right, away from us. Sound bearings were obtained continuously using JP-1 although we were never able to pick up the target with supersonic gear. Altered course to close target's probable track as much as possible, using a bearing plot with an assumed speed of 18 knots. Target zigging radically to the eastward of us and working around to the northward.
15 January 1944
 Making approach on battleship at periscope depth in bright moonlight.
0020(I) It appeared that we were not going to be able to close the target much unless he took a zig back to his left so set all torpedoes for low power shots with depth setting of 22 feet.
0021(I) Sound picked up light, high-speed screws blending in with the heavy screws of the target. Minimum range attained was between 11,000 and 12,000 yards before target drew off to northward. Sound tracking indicated target zigged back to the left after his range had opened up to about 16,000 yards, but by this time he was by us and he was too fast for a surface chase.
0048(I) Lost sound contact with target.
0120(I) Surfaced. Nothing in sight nor on the radar.
0125(I) Secured from battle stations and commenced surface patrol to the eastward. Either we were unlucky enough to get in the middle of a long, looping zig to the eastward or else the target picked us up by radar about the same time we did him and purposely ran out around us. The conditions were perfect to carry out the approach as planed, putting the target between us and the moon, avoiding radar detection, etc., but the breaks just weren't with us. Our principle weakness was our lack of ranges, as the telemeter scale could not be seen and at over ten thousand yards the target appeared as just a very large grey mass. I earnestly believe a zig to the left would have put him in a beautiful position for a successful attack. My best estimate of the target is that it was a battleship screened by at least two destroyers which stayed in close to him and did not use echo-ranging."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 08:35:22 PM »
I know, but I was at the end of my string trying to figure out anything to say that was unique about that submarine.

I need ANYTHING unique to say about the Becuna and the Croaker.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 08:42:34 PM »
Oh, ok. I was not sure if you knew or not.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 08:53:09 PM »
It's odd how much some of these sub museums have in common when you get down to it.

Both the Batfish and the Becuna spotted the Yamato.
Both the Drum and the Cavalla spotted the Shokaku carrier.
Both the Razorback and the Cavalla were at the Japanese surrender.

I believe that some of these subs were in wolfpacks together.  Man I've read so much over the last few days that it's all running together.  :)  It's not "done" yet either.

I'll add in about the Yamato and the Batfish, that's pretty cool to have spotted Yamato by any sub.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »
Yes they do have alot of things in common. The Yamato even beeing seen is a wonder. Something that is really cool about the Batfish is that she had a sister ship the Archerfish SS311 (sank the biggest Japanese carrier), anyways Batfish was already to be commisioned, but they did not have her torpedo tubes yet but the Archerfish's tubes were there, so they put the Archerfish's tubes in the Batfish, and the Batfish's tubes in the Archerfish. Today you can still see SS 311 on all the tubes at the Batfish.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 09:34:53 PM »
Did you read "Gallant Lady"?  It's a great book about the Archerfish!

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 09:46:51 PM »
No I have not read that one yet. I have really just read the Batfish books, and "War Under The Pacific". Plus countless numbers of things online from the submarine museum websites.

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2008, 10:27:17 PM »
Yeah, but I'd like a better one that shows the entryway into the sub.  I can't find one like I like anywhere on the web that isn't copyrighted.  That was one of the few that wasn't copyrighted.  I wanted to show the Batfish specifically because it's the only one I know of that's just on the ground, not on a pedestal or in the water.  I think that's unique and visitors would find that amazing.

Lance - tell me exactly what you want.  I have tons of photos...plus I'll be down there this coming Saturday (weather permitting) and can get you what you want.  What do you mean by "entryway into the sub"?  Forward hatch?  Conning tower hatch?  I've got a bow to stern coverage inside and out, most of which are in a box or stored digitally.  I'm wanting to expand my virtual tour so I may have what you are looking for.  I can email you the photos if you can explain what you want.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 10:50:16 PM »
Lance - tell me exactly what you want.  I have tons of photos...plus I'll be down there this coming Saturday (weather permitting) and can get you what you want.  What do you mean by "entryway into the sub"?  Forward hatch?  Conning tower hatch?  I've got a bow to stern coverage inside and out, most of which are in a box or stored digitally.  I'm wanting to expand my virtual tour so I may have what you are looking for.  I can email you the photos if you can explain what you want.

Mark

Mark, I'll email you in a few minutes as soon as I find a picture that is similar to what I'm looking for.

Lance