Author Topic: Upcoming additions to this forum  (Read 57040 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Upcoming additions to this forum
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2008, 03:14:31 PM »
what's happened to the forum layout? 

Lance - don't know what's happened, but your layout that was just there 15 minutes ago is gone.

By the way MWALLEN, thanks for posting about something being wrong.  Things go wrong all the time and people don't let me know (not here, other places).  I try to pay close attention to detail, but often things will go unnoticed by me.  Anytime you see anything wrong or get any errors, let me know!   :knuppel2:

edit:
For example, I use Firefox.  I forget sometimes to check things out in Internet Explorer.  So far things look 100% the same in both browsers as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 03:16:36 PM by Lance Dean »

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2008, 03:23:40 PM »
Hey, even if you don't have kids, SpongeBob is fun and just plain silly to watch, and an integral part of pop culture!

And I think I've seen docents who remind me of Squidward and Patrick!

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2008, 05:54:23 PM »
OK!  Today 3/26/2008:

1) Modified some tricky files so that a bar is placed into boards that have "stickied" topics.  All topics above the bar are sticky topics, all topics below the bar are normal topics.  It was confusing me too but this particular theme has no easy way to differentiate the two types of topics other than the tiny icon beside the post...and who looks at those anyway?

If there is no bar, then there are no sticky topics.

2) Changed the "NEW POST" button from blue to red.  Hopefully this makes it quicker and easier to see what boards have new posts.

3) Changed the "new" button that appears beside topics that have new posts from blue to red, with the same intention.

Sadly, there is no way that I've found to bold topic subjects when they have new posts with this particular theme.  Just know that topics with new posts will have the flashing red button beside it and will appear below the "sticky bar".  This all probably sounds really confusing, but when you see what I'm talking about it should be super obvious.

If any of you have problems seeing red then let me know, the colors are easily changeable.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2008, 05:57:25 PM »
I like the new red buttons for the new posts.  They stand out more for us blind guys.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »
I'm just worried about anyone who is colorblind...

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2008, 08:55:13 PM »
Also today...

When you upload a picture that is wider than 700 pixels and click on the thumbnail for it, a new window will open up for (hopefully) easier viewing of that wide picture.

Oh well, that won't work.  Looks like we have to live with the scrolling mess.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:02:47 AM by Lance Dean »

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2008, 10:20:17 PM »
3/27/2008

Today I learned how to make an external stylesheet and how to code CSS.  It helped integrate the rest of the website in with the forum (I hope).

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2008, 10:25:35 PM »
All of the website images are now transparent, meaning that the background color can be changed on a whim and the images will still look fine no matter what (minus black that is).

I've also been trying to email 1 person a day, inviting them to the website.  Sorry if I accidentally spam some of you existing members.   :D

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2008, 11:38:07 PM »
Sometimes this site runs really fast and other times it times out.  Not that many people are logged into this at any given moment (most of the time it's probably 5 or less).  So, I was wondering if you are hosting this from your own computer or through a hosting company like 1&1.com?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »
Sometimes this site runs really fast and other times it times out.  Not that many people are logged into this at any given moment (most of the time it's probably 5 or less).  So, I was wondering if you are hosting this from your own computer or through a hosting company like 1&1.com?

Heh, no way I'm running a real website off my computer (anymore).  I have a hosing plan with Surpass Hosting.  They are top-notch from the multiple hosting providers I've tried over time.  I've used them since early 2006.  It is "shared hosting" however, so I just have a directory on a webserver, along with many other people on that same server.  I have 200 GB of storage and 2,000 GB of bandwidth per month for $60 a year.  I can have 10 add-on domains, which this site is one of them.  My primary account/domain is my personal website.  We all share the bandwidth and storage.

I have never had issue with timeouts with this company, but it may be related to where I live in relation to where the server is located.  It's the best option possible, as a real dedicated server costs upwards of hundreds of dollars per month to have.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »
Okay.  I use 1&1.com for my German unit website: www.352nd-mlha.com  I also use it to upload photos.  Since I only pay like $15 per year, I have a lower priority on their server and sometimes my website is slow if their traffic is high.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2008, 04:10:18 PM »
Okay.  I use 1&1.com for my German unit website: www.352nd-mlha.com  I also use it to upload photos.  Since I only pay like $15 per year, I have a lower priority on their server and sometimes my website is slow if their traffic is high.

Same concept here.  If some butthead that is on the same server we are, and he's eating the bandwidth hard, we suffer along with everyone else on the server.  It's the price we pay for having shared hosting vs. dedicated hosting.  We just hope that the hosting company has proper management of the server load.   
:knuppel2:

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2008, 03:12:30 PM »
4/8/2008

Cleaned up and added to the LINKS page.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »
4/15/2008

Added a picture of the Cod's maneuvering room to the front page.

I received an email from Paul Kidd of the Silversides, he'll be joining us shortly I hope!

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2008, 11:11:37 AM »
5/13/08

Added in the U-505, B-39, and B-427 to the table on the front page.   Also moved their forum boards into the main listing of submarines.

Will add interesting facts about them to the front page soon.