Author Topic: Uniform research  (Read 16136 times)

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
Uniform research
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:24:01 PM »
Are there any museums out there that have a pair of the sandals worn by the WW2 crews? I'm trying to find some pictures of exactly what they looked liked.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Uniform research
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 09:57:34 PM »
I know there are a pair of sandals in a display case in the Drum.  I'm not sure if they are vintage or not though.  Perhaps Tom could tell you.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:14:01 PM »
We have a pair of sandals worn by COD crewman Gene Leonard of Cleveland, Ohio, in one of our display cases... he certified that he wore them aboard COD during his patrols.  They're all leather with belt buckle straps.  The Navy authorized the wearing of sandals and open-toe shoes to reduce the damaging effects of foot fungus in the humid environment on subs in the tropics.  Some crewmen took regular shoes and cut them away to provide the same ventilation. I'll get a shot of them Friday (if I remember  :uglystupid2:  )  and post it here...

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 09:12:23 AM »
Excellent! I have a couple of different companies that are willing to remake them for me and the other living history guys. The WW2 sub world was far removed from most navy regs so I wasn't sure that they were actually even Navy approved items. If you or anyone else has access to any of the "modified" uniforms could you shoot me some pics of those too? I've seen an original chambray that had the sleeves removed by the wearer. Pics of other mods would also be greatly appreciated.  :)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 01:07:13 PM »
Chambrays, dungarees, boondockers or sandals, sweatshirts, sweater vests, all have been worn aboard COD in her photos... there really weren't dress codes at sea in the tropics.

Just never saw anyone wearing dress caps like you see in movies!

:laugh:

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 02:23:02 PM »
That's the truth. I've never seen a candid photo or reel that has everyone in "proper" attire. One vet I talked to was saying that most of the guys in his crew worked in sandals, undershorts, and if they were on the deck, a hat. He said that when it got really hot, they would take their towels and wash rags and put a belt around them to wear them like a skirt or loin cloth. I've heard of the mosquito boat guys doing the loin cloth thing too.

I'm not thinking the public would be much into seeing us wearing loin cloths so I may forego that one. :o
That's where living history reaches the thin line. You have to do your best to be accurate but can only do things so accurately without a lawsuit. One of the greatest tests of a living history group's ability is to take a b/w picture of them with a period 35mm camera and mix it in with a bunch of real photographs and see if you can pass yours off as an original.

Case in point. See if you can tell which of these photographs were taken at a living history event and which were not.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 03:02:56 PM »
Correy,

I have always been told that these sailors wore 2 uniforms.  One was thire blues,  This one they wore on thier way out to sea so that they looked good for the people waving bye at the docks.  Once at sea, they changed into their duty uniform. 

Rick

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:23:11 PM »
Actually more than two.  Dress and undress blues and whites, then work uniform (dungrees).  Blues were a winter or cold weather uniform, and whites for the topics or summer.

One of our MM in the forward engine room, we called Scrotum, wore a ball cap and is boots while on watch most of the time staying in the lowere level.  I guess you can figure out why we called in Scrotum... :crazy2:  Yes he was naked more times than not on watch.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »
OK  a certified Air Force recaction...

EWWWW...

Just my point though.  Understandibly, why bring a bunch of clothing along if you do not have the storage and you know they are going to be ruined by the end of patrol.   

Rick

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:11:27 PM »
Also, in the Pacific, a lot of the CO's let the guys wear their whites as dress uniforms. They were cooler than the dress blues.

I have a copy of a reel that has none other than Adms. Nimitz and Halsey aboard the U.S.S. Skate. and in the group of sailors they are addressing are some of the craziest mix and match uniforms I've ever seen. White bottoms with a chambray shirt and an HBT cap, sunglasses, sandals, and of course full beards. I also have several pictures of several guys with cutoff dungaree shorts. The Admirals didn't seem to mind at all.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 08:18:53 PM »
I can only speak about the time that I spent on 688's and we wore 4 different uniforms depending on when and where we were arriving to... With that, in the begining we wore dungaree's pulling into Pearl.. then on WestPac '91 we wore undress whites until the fall on the California coast where we pulled out our Dress blues, then returned to Pearl in Dress Whites.. Later in my time in Pearl we wore dungarees and then Dress whites (after an EastPac) and finally finishing in "poopie suits" before I got out in '94. Underway we wore poopie suits that in some cases had been cut down in the sleeves BUT on the 688's they stayed so damned cold especially operating north that it was not unusual to see foul weather jackets worn ontop of the poopie suits and then handing them off to the on coming watch so that they would stay warm.  Now in port and shore power dropped and the reactor was down we would crank up the F/M 38 1/8 Dinky and our A-Gangers would strip down to next to nothing to keep cool while the kids running the microwave could get it running again or shore power was restored.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 10:54:42 PM »
OK, I'm gonna take the WWII ARMY picture challenge! 

My guess is that the ALL are recent shots!  Why?  although they are EXTREMELY accurate, and many were probably taken with old cameras... the film quality of today is just sooooo much better than the old Kodak XX, Verichrome, and Anscopan films used in WW II...  and what we thought was worth a picture in WWII is not what we think of today in our snapshot culture!  Maybe the guys peeking over the hedgerow... but I think they're all modern.

But again... REALLLY GOOD JOB done by reenactors!  Bravo ZULU!    ;)

What is the answer?

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 11:33:50 PM »
Good job! You're correct. All of them are shots taken within the last five years. You are also correct with the film. You can replicate almost everything but there are just some things that can't (or shouldn't) be replicated...like Mr. Scrotum. :buck2:

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 06:48:25 AM »
I was glad I was up in the forward torpedo room - and Scrotum was back aft in the forward engine room... :crazy2:

That is a lot of equipment those reenactors seem to have. 
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »
Sub sandals of WWII...
 :coolsmiley: