Author Topic: Officer's Pantry  (Read 11257 times)

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
Officer's Pantry
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:32:43 PM »
Do any of the other boats out there still have the original wall between the ward room and officer's pantry? I need a bunch of good pictures to see what it looks like as well as what the pass through looked like.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Officer's Pantry
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 02:44:35 PM »
Correy,  I think some investigation is in order tomorrow.   I will come down with ya.

Rick

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:09:52 PM »
Torsk still has her's but I don't think that I have any pics of it, let me look and see IF I have any pics of it

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:38:47 PM »
Further research has revealed that the wardroom pantry wall was changed during the early '50s and if I had to guess it was around the same time that the sail was changed over.. Here are a couple of pictures of the origional to the new and improved wall

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 10:40:44 PM »
Someone call for MARTHA STEWART!!??!!

:-*

Ofcourse COD has her original wardroom pantry!!! Most boats do!  It was in the late 50s that the USN got slap happy with the shitty woodgrain FORMICA!!! and covered them all over (the active boats that is...)...    what are you doing that you need this info?  Keeping what you have currently is probably the best focus date!  but in any case, I will add that to my picture list tomorrow.

Here are some I have on file... the passthrough is visible in only one shot. The pantry is included.

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:47:53 PM »
FOUND MORE PANTRY SHOTS!

and a shot of the forward torpedo room (why? Who knows, I just like it...)    :smitten:

:idiot2:
Paul

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 12:01:13 AM »
Ok, first let me start by saying WOW! Your boat has the "lived in" look that we're slowly trying to accomplish. I think I have a potential mistress away from the Batfish (sorry Rick). You all have done a superb job at recreating the atmosphere. I'm impressed.

As far as the wall and pass through, I have access to all of the reverse engineering software and manpower that we could ever need and the thought had crossed my mind to see what it would take to reproduce the original wall. Right now we have a plywood wall and bookshelf below the upper cabinets on that side. I wasn't sure if it was just a wall or what it even looked like. Judging by these pictures, it would be a BIG job to try to undertake. I wish our boat wouldn't have all but gutted for classroom use. I'd kill for some more torpedo skids, torpedo straps, bunks, bunk bags, etc. (I guess I'd better start killin' LOL).

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 06:56:06 AM »
Forward room takes me back.  Our Captain wouldn't allow that much stuff to be hanging off our bunks, but we did pretty much what you have going there.  I can almost smell the deisel now. 

The galley area looks great too Paul.  I can see you guys have done a lot of great work. A big BZ for you.   :smitten:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 01:30:45 PM »
Regarding stuff hanging from bunks:

I was a bit hesitant at first, because I had mostly seen the official NAVY publicity photos of GATO torpedo rooms, shot when the boat was being commissioned (everything new and ready for admiral's inspection)... but when I got into the project and started seeing dozens of snapshots from crewmen on COD and other boats of how the rooms looked IN USE.. the friggen rooms were even more CLUTTERED!!!  As in you sometimes coud NOT see the tubes!  But whenthe GQ alarm went off, the stuff got hauled out of the way to reload!

Paul

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 02:13:43 PM »
Things tend to loosen up on extended patrols - WWII guys had a lot to worry about to be worried about hanging stuff off their bunks.    When we went on GQ many times it was under a stop watch.  Certain things could be done after you reported "manned and ready."  Securing bunks out of the way and other house keeping things could be done after.  With alll tubes loaded we had time to get the skids ready.

So I'd say you did a good job replicating the look and feel of the room during an extended patrol.   Maybe my weapons officer was just a bit more spit and polish.
-----

John

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 02:45:28 PM »
Corry,  do not feel bad.  If you do leave though I will hunt you down and drag you back.  You will be sumarily keel hauled from the boat then locked into a ballast tank to reflect on you transgressions....... :police:

I agree.  We are looking for that lived in look.   This has been our goal from day one.   Many compromises must be made to obtain this.   It is what the public wants however.  Just seeing the reaction of our visitors is proof enough for me. 

Just look at it this way.  All of that potential for imporvement.  We have come a long way out here.  There is plenty more to come.

Rick

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 10:27:04 PM »
Pictures shot today of the pantry passthrough and Gene Leonards sub sandals from WWII

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 09:48:01 AM »
Looks great, thanks Paul.

Interesting sandals - we never had any.  So don't recognize them.
-----

John

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 05:41:11 PM »
Well Rick, I don't tink you have much to worry about. That's a bit of a drive for our crew. Besides, I like our girl.

By the way, I had a blast this weekend and we got a lot accomplished.

For those of you on other boats, how did you resolve the AC DC problem? I'm not thinking that you have a rogue band roaming your decks but we're wondering the best way to bring our DC systems on line...like the ranges.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 01:36:05 AM »
We only have to put the fuses back in the fusebox and we can burn down the boat any time we want!   :coolsmiley:

COD thinks she is running off her battery -- beause we bring city AC power to a rectifier box ashore and convert it to dc and feed it into CODs cubicle. The lights and blower systems all work as intended. Stuff like the galley ranges has to be carefully checked or shorts, but worked in 1973 (the bastard left his steak grease-coated foil in the oven for me to clean out 20 years later!  PAMPANITO fed their vets breakfasts aboard in the 90's using the galley gear!