Author Topic: Batfish Bell  (Read 7121 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
Batfish Bell
« on: November 20, 2008, 07:39:30 PM »
So, I have a design for a new memorial eternal patrol walk and would love to incorporate the Batfish bell in it.  I don't think we have it.  Where is the bell?

Or

How/who would be a good place to start looking/asking?

B
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish Bell
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 11:10:01 PM »
First place to ask is the Naval Historical Center at the Washington Navy Yard, curator branch. Frank Thompson is the man to see!

Good luck! COD's has been missing for 50 years!

Paul  :'(
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:42:09 PM »
The only thing that I can help with is that the bells were all removed early on in accordance with Naval Order No. whatever. The thought was that while surface ships would looking for subs using hydrophones, having a bell clanking around under water wouldn't be the wisest move. What they did with them after that, I'm not sure.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 01:55:40 PM »
I already talked to Frank on this issue.  It is not known where the Batfish SS310 bell is located.  If we can find out.  I would love to have it.   The Batfish SS 681 is at the NHC.  We are trying to get it back.   
Rick

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
The ships bells were taken with them under way and stored onboard, normally the striker ball was taken out and kept in the case with the bell. When the ships are decommed their bell and other historical items go to the Navy yard in DC for storage and possible further use, the USS Honolulu CL 48 (WWII Light Cruiser) was decommed in '46-47 and scrapped in '47 and her silver place settings were sent to the Navy yard and when the USS Honolulu SSN 718 (Scrapped '08) was commissioned we recieved the CL 48's silver for special occasion usage, while we stored it in an offsite location we very rarely used it at all and I can only assume that it was sent back along with our bell and other items from the boat to the Navy yards.