Author Topic: Sub for sale  (Read 9339 times)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Sub for sale
« on: November 21, 2008, 09:35:24 AM »
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Sonar: The Eyes and Ears of the Boat
    • View Profile
Re: Sub for sale
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:03:44 PM »
I can see why they are having problems.  It's not what you'd call a thing of beauty. :laugh:

Bill
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:25:42 AM »
Bill, Bill, Bill...

An Oberon is not as pretty as a B-girl like BLUEBACK, but it sure as hell is not an ugly duckling... hell, it may be the third best looking diesel boat behind a GATO, and a B-girl.

Now go sit in the corner and don't come back until you've come to grips with your inner turmoil and lack of appreciation for true beauty!   :police:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:16:18 PM »
IF "O" boats aren't your thing and you like rusty ruskies I have it on pretty good faith that you can get one for a mil or so, she has been a movie star and been the efforts of the US Military to return her home from where she was..  This project is a good "handyman" job with lots of potential for those whom have some money and no there is no "SUBFAX" report to go with this piece of history ::)

She currently is moored on the Eastern Coast in the beautiful state of Rhode Island and the owners may even make a deal for you to keep the barges that are being currently used by this former musuem.

IF interested please contact the Juliette 484 museum in Providence,
 :2funny: :2funny:

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 07:27:38 PM »
After Paul's remarks I had to go back and look at the story.  Every submarine is unique and in a lot of ways the differences are like special things that identify us as humans - I don't know about the rest of you but every submarine I have seen takes my breath away :smitten:  Beauty is in the power and the ability of each one.

OK so the Aussie boat is in need of a nose job - even Jimmie Duranty was lovable!  Back to the corner Bill... :police:
-----

John

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:31:01 PM »
Wow, I guess I have righteously been spanked! :'(  Face it though, there's not much that looks more streamlined than a Gato class boat.  Have the Aussies give it a nose job and I'll reconsider. :D
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:48:58 PM »
Bill,
you haven't been rightfully spanked on this bbs yet ;)   The O boats were a unique class of boats that got my attention while I served on 688's in Pearl in the early 90's and their only match quietness wise (other then a clean hulled 88) was a Japanese submarine and those guys are QUIET!

Many cans of Fosters are in Pearl due to the Aussies mooring outboard of us or on the same pier, I would be in JAIL for 90% of the stuff that I got away with in the early 90's

Darrin

also from the forward room

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:22:25 PM »
Did some one say Fosters? :smitten:
-----

John

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »
Bill,
you haven't been rightfully spanked on this bbs yet ;)   The O boats were a unique class of boats that got my attention while I served on 688's in Pearl in the early 90's and their only match quietness wise (other then a clean hulled 88) was a Japanese submarine and those guys are QUIET!

Many cans of Fosters are in Pearl due to the Aussies mooring outboard of us or on the same pier, I would be in JAIL for 90% of the stuff that I got away with in the early 90's

Darrin

also from the forward room

Speaking of quiet and clean boats, I remember when I was on the Blueback in Pearl and a Japanese Sub tied up nearby.  A submariner from that boat came over to take a tour of the "Back".  He happened to be a Sonarman like me so I made sure to show him the sonar equipment and the dozen of cabinets that housed all of the various sonar equipment.  He then took me over to his boat.  You could have eaten off the deck.  He then showed me his sonar shack and equipment.........everything was in only one cabinet!  That was my first experience with a totally transisterized system.  I went back to my boat thinking I just got "whooped" big time.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 09:02:07 AM »
 :crazy2: I can't let this alone - Between Fosters and Sake, old "Ears" just keeps getting head-rocked.  :crazy2:  Ya have to admit he does come back for more - it's what makes him so special.  Hell it's what makes all of U so special!  ;D

Ya see I had to find out if there is such a thing as ugly submarine.  So I did a Google image search and not much found.  Tried ugliest submarine and got less.  Maybe this qualifies but it's home made so I'm not sure.

"Ears" there just is no ugly submarine. :knuppel2:
-----

John