Author Topic: What's unique about your favorite submarine museum?  (Read 30623 times)

Offline jim_flanders

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
    • Tubes Forward
Re: What's unique about your favorite submarine museum?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 09:28:25 PM »
The Becuna is mine because I served on her, and if the Redfin had gone to manitowoc, she would be in there also.
Becuna is a guppy conversion.

Offline Jim M.

• USS Requin Author
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
    • USS Requin (SS-481/SSR-481)
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 03:33:28 PM »
Other than following me home to Pittsburgh, REQUIN is the sole survivor of the 10 fleet boats converted to SSR. Her stern room, cleared of all the torpedo tube equipment in 1947-48, was used as berthing when radar pickets went out of commission..

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 06:34:21 PM »
Just so Paul cannot say the Batfish doen't have a spokes person.          :police:

The Batfish sank 3 submarines in just over 76 hours.  She has 14 kills to her name.  She rescued 3 downed airmen from a B25 on her 7th patrol.  She is the first submarine to hold a devine service in a war zone.   Not only did she spot the Yamato,  she was set up to make an attack run.  the Yamato turned away at the last minute (in her zig zag pattern) and we were not able to catch up again.   The SSN 681 was took on here name in 1972 and continueed service until 1999.  SSN 681 was the first nuke sub to track a russian sub for 2 months straight undetected.   USS Batfish 310 servied as part of teh Iwo Jima campaign..   

Thats all I can think of right now. 

Rick

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 10:45:47 AM »
Who the heck would say BATFISH doesn't have spokespersons??? NOT ME!  (But does she have a spokesmodel? Huh???  :laugh: )

No, I'm talking about those boats where there are no real nutjobs like us to lavish time on...    :tickedoff:
Where the park managers dissuade any help...

>:(

PF

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 11:28:41 PM »
We tried Christie Brinkly,  but she turned us down. 

Somthing about not likeing the mermaid costume or something like that.....

Rick

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 12:18:06 AM »
Couple of things that are unique about the USS Marlin are that it is by far the smallest US Museum Boat and it probably is the only one with just one torpedo tube. I'll take some notes and report more unique things as I come across them in the next few months.
viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 12:32:04 AM »
Marlin and the Dolphin are going to be going at it because Dolphin is going to San Diego as a museum and she only has 1 tube also and she is also the deepest diving diesel the Navy had and her service life may be longer then almost all other diesel boats and nuke's. And yes my dumb butt turned down orders to her in '90 :-[   what a fool right,   I wound up spending 3 1/2 years in pearl on the Hono which is now razorblades with the exception of part of her bow which is on the San Francisco (SSN 711)

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 12:33:56 AM »
Wow, never knew the Dolphin only had one torpedo. But I'll bet it is bigger than the 8' one on the Marlin. It will be interesting and a learning experience to work on a diesel boat. I look forward to ilt.
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2008, 04:33:11 AM »
I understand USS DOLPHIN's torpedo tube was removed many years ago. It was only for test and evaluation of various technologies, and not a weapons system.

DOLPHIN and ALBACORE have more in common as both were testbeds for the technologies that went into our SSNs.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »
Give Paul a hand, they sure did pull her tube in who know's what year?
From Wiki:
Armament: .45 pistol, M14 rifle and shotgun for port defense
Externally mounted torpedo tubes were used for deep test firing of a torpedo

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »
What is unique about the USS Torsk (SS-423) is that she has the BEST volunteer crew!!!  Cod may have a unique crew, but far from the best and most dedicated.  Torsk may be the only museum with a working ice cream machine.  So, add that to the most dives and surfaces and the last TWO enemy warships sank in WWII by the US Submarine Force.  Marth Stewart, I mean Paul, may lose his standing as the best looking museum boat also! 

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2008, 03:01:56 AM »
Ohhhh, nooo jou didn't say dat? 

Time to say "halllo" to my leeetel friend!!!  (Picking up a monsterous mahine gun and pointing it at mike)...

COD's ice cream machine works!  It made a load of the hydraulic flavored cold stuff back in 1999 or thereabouts!

I second TORSK's claim to the most outstanding group of volunteers!  We are forced to make the most out of  a little band of merry men (and a woman or two)... sort of like comparig the Israeli army to the US Army. Similar goals, different sizes.

The submarine show is ongoing and thankfully competition makes it interesting and ever changing... BRING IT ON!   :coolsmiley:

OH have we got stuff up our sleeves for 2009!

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2008, 01:02:02 PM »
Ok the fight ihas started..  I have to get in on this one.   I have a crew that works a sub in the middle of OK of all places.  The Marlin may be the most inland,  but it is jus a toy compared to ours.  We are not a test platform or a research vehicle.  We are a full blown sub.  No few post war mods and stil al true, blue desil boat.  The work that has been accomplished in the past 2 years by my small dedicated group of volunteers has been outstanding.   Consider 8 hours a week every other week we have 2 new torpedoes that are about to be loaded,  major progress on a deck that needs to be replaces, a Crews quarters that has been shored up and ready for sleepovers (which are going on) and once again being recognized byt Muskogee and the State of OK as a ligit museum again.  My crew is da best man.  I will stand by that to the end of the day.  :knuppel2:

We have our own little suprises coming next year and I cannot wait to reveil them.

Keep the faith all...... :laugh:

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2008, 01:29:54 PM »
Remember folks this isn't a fight or even a contest to see whom has the best crew or boat (TORSK!!) this is about ALL of us helping each other learn from mistakes made in the past so that the crews that are coming online are not doomed to repeat the mistakes that we all made in the past.
With the crew of the Batfish coming along nicely and Bill Lee and his crew hopefully being able to start working on the Marlin here shortly, they need our help and so does the DRUM who doesn't have anyone other the Tom and Leslie working their collective butts off trying to save her.
Most of us will never have the luxury that the crew of the Razorback has (getting a newly decommed fleet boat) and most if not all of her spare parts onboard and in great shape.. The next best thing would have been getting the Trout but that sadly did not happen and she gave her all before she was towed to Texas to be scrapped, a number of submarines are in a lot better shape because of her not being saved which is truly sad.

Ah who in the heck am I kidding it is a contest to see whom is the best and there are going to be a lot of folks trying to be the best in '09 so COD you need to step up your game if you and yours would like to keep that title (seein how Pamp and Bowfin have no reps here at all to defend themselves)