Author Topic: INSIDE PHOTOS  (Read 30681 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: INSIDE PHOTOS
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
My uncle designed and oversaw the construction of the Nina.  I got to spend 2 weeks on her.

Silversides has all 4 engines operational.  She seems to get a lot of attention from the Navy.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 03:07:29 PM »
its just amazing how that ship was made and how it floats:) good job on it i bet the navys not too happy that the Silversides is that operational
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 03:26:11 PM »
They work on it along side the volunteers.  If they were unhappy with it, then they would have stopped it long ago.

I think Pampanito is trying to reclassify their boat as a surface vessel and take people on tours of the bay on it.  I'd fly out to "gay bay" just for that experience.  Get the whole BLHA crew out there and do a photo op.  

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 06:41:25 PM »
That would be soo awsome its been proven that with alot of volunteers theese ships can be operatable after 70 years :) even the batfish when the muskogee river flooded in 94 she floated too
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 07:18:23 PM »
I know of the '86 flood.  I didn't know that it happened, again, in '94.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »
I lost track of this thread for a while. You mean I can't put batteries in our MK 27 torpedo and do some work on the war head?
I think that would be one thing that would give the CG night mares. I would have all kinds of nightmares about energizing the Drums main electrical system and the Manuververing cubicle, course that would be an easy way to get rid of the dust bunnies.
Tom

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 08:24:33 PM »
We dont need a torpedo running amuck in the golf of mexico that oil spill has already caused havoc xDD and i thaught rick said the flood was in 94 but it was probley in 86 good thing she floated hey wouldnt u think the razorback would be fully operation as she did serve time in the turkish navy and was decomished 10 years ago i think beside the pamponito and silversides razorback would be ur best bet

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
If Pampanito is indeed trying to get registered as a surface vessel and they're running under their own power, then the control cubicle is probably energized and routing the power to the motors.  It would be nice if they ever posted on this website.

Obviously, I'm only talking about reactivating propulsion machinery.  Launching a live or dud torpedo would create a crap storm of epic proportions.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:25:36 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 05:14:30 PM »
It would deffently bring in the money the question is though lets say they were able to do that  then there gonna have alot of navy inspections and u got to wonder in what shape would the engines be in too after 70years mark im not sure if u are aware of this but there is several world war 2 military ships that still go out to this day mostly mine layers and liberty boats and several old transports they go out maney times a year though the pampanito is a sub i imagine theyv made alot of changes to her as far as the  englines and the wires and everything as long as they dont submerge im happy becuse the navy would be on there arsh if they even attempted to submerge

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »
My guess is that they would have to permanently seal off any vent openings so that they couldn't sink/dive, even if they tried.  It would truly have to be a surface craft.  I think they could easily find the people willing to pay the money to motor around on a WWII diesel sub.

I was on the John Brown liberty ship when it visited Solomons Island, MD in 2004, I think.  I visited the engine room and it was pretty impressive.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor