Author Topic: List of WWII Sub Museums  (Read 42992 times)

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
Re: List of WWII Sub Museums
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2008, 04:38:09 PM »
While I will admit that the study of and assimilation of English by students today is not of the same depth that it was when I was in school; as an example, my wife went back to college to get a degree about 10 years ago, her sophomore year college English book was a simplified version ( same layout, name, so forth, just left out things like how to use the word whom correctly) of my freshman High School English Book; however, the including of typos in newspapers is not a recent phenomenon.  When I was a senior in High School, one day a week in English class, we took the Kansas City Star and had to point out all the spelling and grammatical errors in an article.  I have noticed that many writers today, don't seem to understand that every sentence is supposed to have a subject and verb, but typos have been around for since people learned to spell.  I thought the one that was in that article was funny. Really thought it referred to some women's group.
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2008, 11:15:16 PM »
Bill - I just replied on another thread.  I'll try to find that out.  I'll also get you a better photo next weekend.  There was more text there, but I can't remember what it said.  You'll have it next weekend...promise

Bill - a day late but I just emailed you two photos of the Shark Memorial.  One of the overall front view and one is a close up of the granite stone with map and names.  I have others, just let me know if you need them.

Attached is a side view of the memorial.  Lance - notice anything different?  We painted both bases and removed 7 bushes on the east side to increase visibility.  On the 22nd, we are giving the torpedo a face lift.  New pics here when it's done.

Mark

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 02:09:31 AM »
Mark, please send the others and I'll put up what ever comes out the best when they get reduced down to what the map takes. Sometimes the best looking ones when they are full sized don't reduce down as well as others. I am going out to the cemetery this week and shoot a bunch of the same stone and write down what lens at what distance and what focal length to  see what works the best. I have five lenses, so should be able to tell some things.
Thanks for doing all this.
Bill

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2008, 08:07:38 PM »
Mark,  I went out this afternoon and took some pictures of a headstone to see what differences there are with lens, distance, so forth. I used a 27-105, 50-150, and a 200-300( these are digital equivalents, in the lenses themselves are marked as  17-70, 35-105, and 100-200.  Took them back and put on the computer and it seems like that around the 100-200 digital length in all the  lenses seemed a little better. I also noticed that with the 17-70 lens( 27-107 digital) the color seemed a little more bright.  I also could see the difference in getting down level or shooting up a little as opposed to shooting down at the stone. So don't know if that will help when people take pictures of the monuments. It was blowing rather hard, so am going back out later and experiment in shooting in manual mode so I can over and underexpose some shots to see how that works out. I guess I probably have automatic bracketing on my camera, but have never tried it yet.  I use a Sony A-100 and have a couple of old Minolta AF lenses that work with it, plus the 17-70 that came with it.
Bill

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2008, 04:57:35 PM »
The addresses listed by each submarine board should now be proper.  They are all mailing addresses, I got rid of the physical addresses.  Also, I added in a few websites.

Anything wrong, let me know.

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2008, 10:55:24 PM »
Bill - sorry for the delay, been out of town (work related).  I'll get the other photos sent via email tomorrow evening (Monday).  I'll take some additional ones of the memorial after the paint job on the torpedo and I'll try that "looking up" method and take some more of the granite memorial.

Also - are there any request for more photos (from anyone) regarding the Batfish?  I'll be down there again this upcoming Friday or Saturday and can get specifics if you need them.

Let me know before Friday.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2008, 11:17:13 PM »
Mark, never any rush with me.  What Ron and I are trying to put up on the SOS pages are pictures of a boat before and after it has something worked on. So Any pictures you have of the Batfish would be nice. Especially if you haven't worked on something yet, but will be doing so or if you have old and new pictures of what it looked like before and after something was fixed, installed, or even painted.  When people see things like this, then they figure the money they donate is going to something.  I'll be glad for any pictures you send along. I am going to try and do some more experimenting with shooting and see what happens. I am going to try taking some pictures with the camera set to make smaller ones to start with to see what effect that has on how it looks once I get it reduced on the web pages.
Thanks for all you guys are doing down there.
Bill

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »
Mark,

I was down there this past Saturday and I brought my camera, but the weather was lousy and Rick and I got busy with other projects.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2008, 09:54:19 AM »
In my chatch up I just skimmed through the these posts so I will shot gun this one and hope I get everything.  Ignor what you do not need to know.  I have a complet list of which state sponsors which boat.  NY and CA each sponsor 2  OK sponsors the Shark I SS 174.  Let me know if you need the list.

Our address is as follows.
Muskogee War Memorial
PO Box 253
Muskogee OK 74402

Our physical Address is:
3500 Batfish DR

Our Tele:
918-682-6294

ussbatfish@sbcgolobal.net

Web
www.ussbatfish.com

Google and Mapquest and Rand Mcnally seems to have a big problem finding address here im Muskogee.  I am not sure why, but they always seems to get you to the opisite side of town you are supposed to be on.  This is not unique to the Batfish.   I think it is a redneck Okie thing.  Not sure.

I hope this helps out   Let me know if you need anything else.

Rick