Author Topic: List of WWII Sub Museums  (Read 42892 times)

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
Re: List of WWII Sub Museums
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 12:19:35 PM »
Mark, let me give you the url for our sub memorials map as we list all the lost boats even when the state doesn't have a memorial for them yet.  It is http://www.ussvi.org/Memorials.asp  If the map doesn't come up when you go there (depends on whether you use IE or firefox), just click on the button sub memorials, then click on Oklahoma and it should show you the Shark SS-174. There is no memorial yet for that boat.
Bill
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 12:22:59 PM »
That I don't know.

Speaking of Oklahoma, they're working on raising money for the USS Oklahoma BB Memorial.  I forget where it's proposed location will be.

The state of Oklahoma was assigned the USS Shark I, SS-174.  I'll find that link that tells what states have what sub(s).  Since there were 52 subs lost, 2 states were assigned 2 subs.  I know California has 2, and I think the other is New York maybe?

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »
go to the USSVI sub memorials page, click on legacy pages, bring up Oklahoma, then at the top go to the list of lost subs. Has them listed for all states.
Bill

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 12:30:06 PM »

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »
That's good to know.  The 52 memorials in Muskogee aren't huge plaques, but it's nice that they did all 52 of them.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 06:47:25 PM »
I noticed that on the USSVI page for the U.S.S. Shark they say that Oklahoma does not have a memorial for her yet, but they do at the Batfish. Is there anyway to geth them to change that info? Because it needs to be known that the Shark was not forgotten.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 11:15:55 PM »
I think I remember seeing a Mk 14 torpedo on a pedastal, but it might only be for display purposes, as opposed to a Shark memorial.  Rick would know better than me.  Still, we have all bases covered with the setup that we have.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2008, 12:29:53 AM »
The Shark Memorial SS 174 is at the Batfish Museum.  My wife and I are currently restoring it.  Please visit this page:

http://www.ussbatfish.com/wm-park.html

Bottom left photo is the memorial display.

Mark Allen
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2008, 12:33:49 AM »
Mark, thanks. I had found a very small picture of just the stone and didn't realize it was under the torpedo. I'll get the picture changed out and up on the Shark page on the sub memorials part of USSVI. Glad to see it.  If you have any info about when the dedication service was and what group did it, I'd like to put that up also. Appreciate the help.
Bill

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2008, 12:35:35 AM »
Bill - I just replied on another thread.  I'll try to find that out.  I'll also get you a better photo next weekend.  There was more text there, but I can't remember what it said.  You'll have it next weekend...promise

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »
Here's  a link from the Muskogee Daily Phoenix on our last work day (yesterday):

http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/local/local_story_061233245.html

The photo is of yours truly working on the Shark Memorial

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2008, 03:43:22 PM »
Mark, I started out with a Drum file, then made a Museum Boats file. I can see I will need to have a different file for all the boats. One of the things I suggested to Tom Bowser of the Drum was what we used to do at the hospital I worked at as a paramedic. We clipped and saved all newspaper clippings like this and also made copies of all pictures taken and put down everyone's name, then put them under the clear covers in a big three wing book.  Then we left it out where people stopping by could look at it.  We also could use it as reference when writing for grants and other money. I think if they don't already that every boat should be doing this.  If we ever get a USSVI library where we have some control over it, I will hope that someone will start wanting copies of all this stuff for the library. I was sad to not see any sub vets mentioned. I would have hoped some of the guys from the Batfish Base would have been there. Maybe they just weren't listed. It did say they had 50-60 people there. Anyway, glad you guys got some publicity. Thanks for all the work you are doing on it. It is nice your wife wants to help.
Bill

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2008, 03:56:46 PM »
It did not list any specific vets, but it did say they were there (but had a typo when saying it)
"Other volunteers included the Oklahoma Subdets, the honor guard of American Legion Post 15 and members of American Legion Post 241. Also in attendance were 13 members of the Muskogee High School ROTC." this is a quote from the article.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »
Sorry, I read that but thought it was some type of womens group. LOL  Great, I figured they would be there, but wasn't sure. Sometimes things don't work out. Some of the groups reguarly post for help on Martini's BBS when things like this come up, but hadn't notice any from the Batfish doing that, so wasn't aware of what was going on. I am sure many of them look forward to working on the boat. Thanks for leting me know what a subdets group is. I'll have to raze them about that.
Bill

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »
Yea it is pretty sad when a towns newspaper has a typo like that.